Chapter 5

I drive home that day with a stab of guilt digging into my stomach. It keeps twisting and turning, and going deeping into my stomach. And I'm having a hard time not crying. But I can't, I'm on the bus, and I'm supposed to keep my cool at all times. And it makes me feel even more guilty that Marcel isn't on the bus. He probably transferred schools, or left the country. Its probably better, I'm nothing but bad news for that boy anyway. I'm just glad Cameron isn't on the bus either.

I open the door to my house, and slump in the kitchen. My mother looks up from her cutting board, and her face brightens,"Georgia! How was your first day of school?" I give my mother a fake smile, then I let it instantly disappear,"It sucked." I grumble. And with that, I hurry up the stairs, run to my room, and slam the door. I chuck my backpack at the wall, and flop myself onto the bed. I scream into the pillow, gripping it tightly. Why do I have to be in this mess? Why does Cameron have to be so mean. Why does Marcel have to be so defenseless. And why do I have to be such a coward.

I feel a ping of hope that maybe Marcel texted me. That maybe he has forgiven me for being such a coward, and stepping back when he needed me the most. I quickly check my phone, hoping for the best, but I immediately see the worst when the only text I have is from Reela. And I don't care to text her. I chuck my phone at the wall too.

I sit there, thinking, wondering what on earth I am going to do to set things right with Marcel. How to make sure he doesn't get hurt again. Not on my account.

I finally think of an idea, but it won't make things better between Marcel and I. It will only keep him safe.

*****

I come to Science class early, and search for Mr. Goldman. I instantly spot him correcting paperwork on his desk in the back. I venture through the maze of the desks, and finally stand in front of him.

He looks up from his papers, and nods his head, "What can I do for you Georgia?"

I almost don't want to do, what I'm about to do, but its for the best. I swallow the lump in my throat and make myself spit it out, "I want to change lab partners."

Mr.Goldman drops his pen, and leans back in his chair. He sighs and says, "I'm sorry Georgia, but there is no switches."

I lean forward and pursue forward, "This is important Mr. Goldman. Please, just change me partners."

Mr.Goldman purses his lips and is silent for a moment. Then finally he gives in, "Fine, what is your partners name?"

"Marcel Styles." I tell him. It hurts to speak his name.  

Mr.Goldman scribbles something in his clipboard, but stops for a second, "Are you sure you want to switch partners, he's a very smart boy?" he asks.

"Yes," I answer, trying to keep the regret out of my voice.

"Then its done, your new partner is Molly Young." Mr. Goldman says.

The bell rings, and it sends a shiver up my spine. This is what I have been wanting to avoid all day. This class period.

Molly Young immediately comes into the classroom, and I go up to her and explain everything. She doesn't have much of a reaction but a, "Whatever, I don't care." We sit down across from each other, and she sticks in her earphones, blasting her rock music, that I'm afraid her ear drums might pop.

My breath immediately hitches in my throat when Marcel walks in the room, with his usual selection of books, and his shy facial expression. Bruises cover his face, but especially his right eye, its pure blue and purple. I wince, man this is going to be harder then I thought.

When Marcel spots me, and makes his way over to me, I lean lower in my chair, squirming a bit. Marcel comes up to the counter and smiles at me,"Hey Georg-." but he stops, seeing Molly in his original spot. Marcel nudges his head towards Molly and asks,"What is she doing here?" I lean down lower in my chair, biting my lip. "I-I changed partners." I whisper. Marcel blinks a few times and leans closer,"What? You changed partners! Why?" he questions sharply. I look down at the ground and mumble,"It was for you." Marcel grabs my shoulders and says,"What are you talking about." I lean up so his hands fall from my shoulders and I tell it to him straightly,"I saw you get beat up by Cameron yesterday. And I won't let it happen again. The further you are from me, the safer you are."

Marcel straightens his tie, his neck straining. He sucks in a deep breath and the side of his mouths begin to droop. "So this is goodbye?" he asks. I look down,"This is goodbye." I echoe.