Chapter 35

~Georgia's POV~

".......School starts again tomorrow." his voice echoes down the line, in a quiet monotone.

 Marcel has brought up a rough subject, in our conversation. My voice seems to find no words, so I stay quiet.

He continues, purging, "You know what that means right?"

"What?" is the only words I can suppress.

"We have to face everyone." he says.

Oh don't remind me. I don't want to talk to people any more. I just want highschool to be over. I just want to go to college, and stay with Marcel. And be away from my mother.  I don't want to talk to Reela, I don't want to see Cameron. I don't want to be the Georgia Rose everyone knows at school. I want to change. I mean I have changed. Just not exactly on the outside.

"And what do we have to prove." I whisper into the phone.

Marcel answers quite forwardly,"Nothing."

"Then why does everyone care so much?" I question almost harshly.

"Because it's highschool," Marcel says, "Everybody cares about everything. Christmas break was fun. New Years was fun. But now we have to go back to reality. No more midnight dates."

"I know." I admit depressed. "I just think its stupid that everyone cares about what everyone else is doing with their lives. Including Cameron. I'm afraid he just wants to beat you to a pulp because you are Marcel."

"Don't be worried about me. Cameron doesn't scare me." Marcel says, his voice firm.

"He scares me...." I confess.

Marcel sighs into the phone line,"Georgia, do you really think I'll let him hurt you?"

I shake my head,"Oh no. I just feel like we've only fanned his flame of anger. Like he'll snap at any minute."

"We'll be fine Georg-"

"Marcel, promise me something." I interrupt.

"What?"

"Just promise you won't speak..." my voice trails off, as I turn away from the phone, nervously.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that." Marcel says.

I sigh,"Just promise you won't speak of 'us', when school starts."

Marcel takes this wrong. "Why, are you ashamed of me?" he questions sharply, appalled.

"No! No!" I try to swallow my words, but it's too late. So I try to reword my phrase. "You are my best friend, and I love you. I'm just meaning, let's not come out as a couple until Prom. I just don't want anyone to hurt you. I would just rather keep it a secret until then."

Marcel sounds annoyed, "So you think I can't stand up for myself? I mean you taught me how."

My voice is laced with frustration, "No, Marcel, that's not what I mean. I know you can stand up for yourself, I just don't want to take the risk. I don't want to see you with another black eye, I've already seen you with 2 this year. I don't want another one. Let's just give it time, alright? Please."

"Alright." he finally agrees, reluctance straining in his voice.

It's not like Marcel and I hate eachother now, or we're fighting. We are just both in distress knowing that school is starting tomorrow, and we just need to straighten things out.

The line is silent for quite some time, so I give up, and say, "Goodnight Marcel."

Marcel jumps back in, his voice eager, "Wait, Georgia!"

I readjust the phone to my ear, "Yes?"

Marcel's breathing pace has quickened, and I hear him lick his lips. "...I need to tell you something."

I scrunch my eyebrows together, because his voice doesn't sound like normal. It's low, and serious. It makes me perk up with suspicion, but also makes me want to cower down in fear.

"And what is that?" I ask biting my lip.

"I-um. Well, I thought." Marcel mumbles, scourging his brain for the right words. He doesn't sound sure about what he is about to say. "I-" his voice cuts off, and I fear that he has hung up.

I lean closer into the phone. "Marcel?"

"Never mind," he says bluntly, "Nothing, never mind. Forget about it. I gotta go. See you tomorrow Georgia."

"Oh, uh, bye." I sputter. Then the line goes dead.

I slowly set the phone down on my bed, my stomach knotting. I know Marcel had something to say. I know he did. He wouldn't bring it up if he didn't. And now I know that Marcel is hiding something from me. Marcel has a secret.

A/N:

You all know I love you, but please don't "advertise" your story on my chapters. Its rude, and quite annoying. I understand you want reads, but go to the clubs on wattpad to get your story out there. Please tell me your favorite part of the chapter, and tell me what you think Marcel's secret is! Vote this chapter up my friends! I love you all :)

~SunDanielle