Chapter 19

~Georgia's POV~

Marcel hands me a cup full of punch, and I gratefully take it, drinking the whole thing in one gulp.

"Wow, are you thirsty or what?" Marcel points out, laughing at me.

I wipe my mouth, and set down the cup, answering,"Yes Marcel. I'm scared out of my mind. And I'm just so thirsty."

Marcel chuckles again and says, "I'll get you another cup." Then he leaves.

I watch at all 10 judges, switch papers, pointing out things, and quietly whisper to each other. They hold the destiny to my A in science. Marcel and I need to win this. As I stand there, concentrating on the judges, I feel a presence come up next to me. I'm supposing it's Marcel.

"I just hoping we win Marcel, we really need to win." I stress. An unfamiliar voice speaks, its deep, and soothing. "I'm not sure if I agree with you on winning, but I think you'd be a win."

I quickly turn around, and I'm facing, someone I don't recognize. And he is standing very close to me. I swallow hard, and take a step back uncomfortably. "Um.. hello." I squeak under my breath. He follows my steps, and takes a step closer. His sweet scent invades my nose. He must be wearing cologne. He is wearing the contestant shirt, but his muscles bulge through it. He is wearing designer jeans for men, and he has blonde beachy hair. His teeth are perfectly white and align, and his eyes are bright blue. He makes me nervous.

I take another step back, and my back hits the wall. Oh gosh.

He mirrors my step again, and he is extremely close to me now.

"What's your name?" he asks.

"G-Georgia." I stutter.

"Nice name. I'm Ryan." he rues, cockily.

Why are you standing so close to me? And what makes you think that you can come up to me, and flirt with me? I haven't even said a word to you before this, or even looked at you even.

But of course I don't have the guts to say this to his face. All I do is stutter out, "Oh, c-cool."

Ryan smiles mischievously, and runs his fingers through his beautiful blonde hair. "So, are you nervous? You seem so."

I clear my throat and say,"Yeah, we really need to win this."

Ryan raises an eyebrow, and puts his arm on the wall by me, trapping me. "Who's we?" he questions.

I press myself against the wall, feeling completely interrogated. "My partner and I. His name is Marcel."

Ryan leans in closer to me,"Oh yeah? And who is your partner?" he asks, his voice becoming more cunning by the second.

I can barely raise my arm, "He's over there." I say pointing over by the refreshments table.

Ryan looks over at Marcel, and I find this a perfect time to run, but now both of his hands are pressed against the wall beside me.

Oh gosh, Marcel save me.

He looks back at me and rolls his eyes, "That loser? Wow, you'd have such a better time, if I was your partner."

Now this gets me angry. How dare he call Marcel a loser. How dare he come over here and make fun of Marcel, and try to get me to go out with him.

I stand straighter and snap, "How dare you even come over here and talk to me, how da-"

Marcel clears his throat behind Ryan, interrupting my sentence. Even though Marcel is really tall, Ryan is taller, and he towers over Marcel. But Marcel doesn't look scared at all, as Ryan turns around to face him.

"Please step away from my partner." Marcel orders.

Ryan smiles in a pretend way and says,"Oh, so you're Marcel. Nice to meet you, I'm Ryan." Ryan holds out his hand towards Marcel.

Marcel doesn't even move, just repeats himself,  a little more pushy this time "Step away from my partner."

Ryan tucks his outstretched hand into his pocket, and narrows his eyes at Marcel. "And who is going to make me?" he questions sharply.

Marcel shrugs, "I will."

"That's funn-" Ryan begins, but is cut off by an announcement.

The microphone makes a few squeaking nose, then it evens out. "We will be announcing the winners now, so please, everyone go back to your project, and find your partners." the main judge notifies, her voice echoing through the room.

Ryan glares at Marcel, and grits his teeth. "Whatever, you loser." he spits out, as a last ditch effort for an insult. Then he stalks away, his hands in fists.

Marcel instantly comes to my side. "Are you alright? What was his problem?" he asks.

I let out a deep breath and shake my head, "I don't know. But I'm just glad he's gone."

We both walk over to our project and Marcel hands me the cup of punch he was getting. I laugh, thinking this drink is not worth the trouble Ryan gave me, but I drink it anyway.

As the announcer comes to center stage, holding the envelope, and adjusting the microphone, Marcel grabs my hand. I look down at our entwined fingers, and I get those weird butterflies again. But I'm starting to like the butterflies. I look up at Marcel and smile, he looks down at me and smiles as well whispering, "We got this."

The announcer rips open the envelope and clears her throat, "Here we go. The winner of the school districts science projects is.." she ruffles through the envelope, grabbing out the paper. My heart stops. "Marcel and Georgia!" she shouts.

I can't believe what I've just heard, that I don't react until Marcel starts jumping up and down shaking me. I suddenly become so happy, and I jump along with Marcel, then pull him into a hug. Everyone begins clapping, and a couple of cheers are given.

"We did it Marcel! We won!" I say into his warm chest. Marcel holds me closer, "All the hard work paid off!" he exclaims.

He lets go of me, and his face is inches from mine, and his hand is on my neck from the hug. He blinks a few times, licking his lips, and I just want to kiss him. So badly. But Marcel shakes his head, and frees his hand from my neck. He grabs my hand and pulls it up in the air with him, in triumph.

The judges come around to us, handing us the golden trophy, and a certificate. Marcel and I admire the trophy, and Marcel traces his fingers over it, whispering, "Wow." When all the cheers and claps die off, Marcel pulls his arm around my neck, and he begins walking out of the gym. I hold his side, gripping the trophy with my other hand.

As we walk out the door, we pass by Ryan, who has a grouchy, smug face on. "Now look who the loser is Ryan!" I laugh in his face, raising the trophy higher, and closer to his face. Marcel and I both walk out of the school together, and I've never felt so happy walking out of that school, with someone I actually like. Who I truly like.