It's in the Blood

"Give me some."

"Make your own."

"That's not physically possible."

"Kakashi told me you cook all the time."

"Damn him."

...

"Give me some!"

"Cook some for yourself!"

"But yours smells so good!"

"If I give you some will you stop sleeping on my bed?"

"No, because I'm protecting you."

"From what? I live in a house full of ninja. I don't really think anyone is going to attack me."

"I protect you from Jade on scary movie nights."

"Here," Kim grumbled as she fed a piece of her bacon to Pakkun, her fearless protector of Jade and all things that go bump in the night. "But do you really have to sleep on my hair?" At the beginning the little dog had slept sprawled out at the foot of her bed, but as the two became familiar with each other, the dog had started to sleep curled up against the small of her back or in the crook of her knees. Then, at some point, he had started to sleep partially on her pillow with his squished face nuzzled in her hair.

"It smells good, like sweet black cherries," was the little pug's reply. "I would have slept with Sakura, we use the same shampoo, but her hair isn't as long or as soft as yours." Kim gave him a weird face at his reasoning.

"I'm gonna go outside and train with the others," she said, slowly getting up and backing away towards the door. After descending the stairs she made her way to the clearing in the woods where the others were.

It had been about a month since the craziness that was Jade's Halloween Birthday Bash, and was the beginning of December. Thanksgiving had been an interesting event with the ninja. Konan and Hana took it upon themselves to make dinner. Naruto had wanted to run to New York to see the Thanksgiving Day Parade, and had to be restrained by a reluctant Kakashi. During dinner Sasuke and Naruto, and Deidara and Itachi all ended up having eating contests; Ren had smacked them all for throwing up on the floor. Everyone had stared at Kakashi waiting for him to remove his mask, but to no avail. Jade started a food fight. Sakura had developed a love for apple pie. Kim refused to give anyone vanilla ice cream or pumpkin pie. Nagato kept making perverted jokes. Hinata sat back and recorded everything on her video camera.

The shop was closed for the day since it was a Sunday, and by some strange turn of events, everyone had the day off from work. Hinata, Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke had to work part-time because of school. Surprisingly, the four were at the top of their classes. Sasuke and Naruto were doing well on the basketball team, and were even guaranteed to become co-captains next season. Hinata and Sakura were having a bit of a hard time with the captain of the cheer squad. As it would turn out she was the same girl Kim had threatened to stay away from Sasuke, and she was taking her frustration out on the two girls.

"Hey guys," called Kim as she walked into the clearing. She looked down when something brushed her leg, and saw Pakkun standing there. She walked over to Deidara who was the closest person to her. "What are they doing?"

"They're trying to figure out what area your father specializes in, un," the blond man answered. "We've tried Genjutsu, Medical Ninjutsu, and a little bit of Ninjutsu, but he wasn't that good. Right now Nagato's trying to see if he's good at summoning."

The two watched on as Nagato brought out a scroll with a flourish, placing it on the ground and rolling it out. He said some things to Ren and then took a step back to supervise. Ren placed his hands over the seal and pumped out a small amount of chakra. A kunai appeared where his hands were. He picked it up and threw it at a target on a tree. There was some talking along with some nodding.