Naming

The mid-afternoon sun shined brightly in the sky over a small Texas city. It was half-way through the second week of October. It was hot out, but the air was slowly growing cooler with every passing day.

At an auto repair shop, two girls were hard at work. Well... one was. The working girl was leaning over the left side of white Prius performing a routine tune-up and oil change, while the 'observing' girl leaned against the other side of the car, alternating between looking at something on her phone and handing the working girl tools when asked.

The 'observing' girl wore a blue jean mini-skirt with a black capped-sleeve t-shirt that had skeleton hands gripping the breast area from behind which exposed two inches of her stomach, and a pair of white ballet flats to match her white belt. She stood three inches taller than the working girl at five-foot seven-inches. Her golden brown hair fell down to her shoulder blades in soft curls. Hazel eyes shifted left and right as she read the small text on the screen of her phone.

The working girl was almost the complete opposite in the style department. She wore a pair of denim jeans, a burgundy form fitting tank top with her navy blue button up work shirt, that had her name embroidered on a white patch over her left breast, over it with the sleeves rolled up below her elbows, and a pair of black low-top Converse. Slightly wavy soft black hair flowed down to her waist, which at the moment was pulled up into a messy bun. Her dark brown, almost black, eyes focused on her work.

"Hey, Kim! Guess what," the hazel eyed girl questioned brightly as she handed her friend the green bottle and the funnel she had ask for. She slid her phone into the side pocket of her skirt, and leaned against the side of the car. Out of curiosity, she touched something inside of the car, and pulled her hand back quickly when it burned her.

"Jade, don't touch that!" Kim reprimanded after hearing her friend hiss in pain. Getting tired of feeling the brown haired girl's questioning gaze, she let out of soft breath as she continued working. "I don't know, what?"

"I'm moving in! Ain't that exciting," Jade said jumping up and down clapping her hands excitedly.

"My dad's letting you move in? When did you ask him," the dark haired girl asked turning away from her task of performing an oil change on a customer's car, as Jade had earned her full attention.

"Well... You see... I didn't..." she trailed off, looking anywhere but at her friend.

"So... You're just going to move in," Kim concluded, having had figured something like that had happened. Her friend was not exactly the type to plan ahead, and would wait to the last minute to do things.

"Yep! Pretty much," Jade confirmed.

"Why?"

"What, you don't love me? I'm hurt, right here," Jade whined pointing to her heart. Her finger was hovering above her right breast, as her face contorted in to a look reminiscent of a kicked puppy.

"Your heart is on the other side," Kim stated moving the girl's pointer finger to hover over where her heart was. The action caused her to get a bit of motor oil on her friend's hand, to which her friend grabbed a rag off of the giant, in her opinion, red tool box, and rub furiously to remove the oil. She continued, shaking her head at her friend's antics, "but that's not the point. It's just that... doesn't this seem a bit sudden. Not sudden, per se. More like out of the blue."

"Father is being an ass again. You know, favoring the Twin Terrors over me to impress the new wife, letting the wife blow all of his money on shopping sprees, new cars and all of that." Her face scrunched up in disgust. "He stopped sending me money, and you know that my job at the art studio doesn't pay very well. It does pay well just not enough to keep living where I'm living. Basically, I don't have enough money to make rent, and I haven't even made a payment in about five months. I'm going to be evicted soon, and I really don't want to leave the city," the brown haired girl explained to the girl she considered a sister in a single breath. "But you know how much apartments in a big city can be, especially if I want to live in a nice area."