Twenty Two

Leigh drove with Jesy's directions the remainder of the way to our destination. It was only a few miles Leigh had to drive until we arrived at the destination.

We were in the middle of nowhere, and if Jesy had planned on taking us up here to murder us, nobody could hear us scream; well, besides the people who lived in the cabin beside us.

The cabin was small, clean, and cozy-looking from the outside. Smoke came out of the chimney, and trees surrounded the house for miles. The dirt road lead right to the house, and we hopped out of the car with smiles on our faces and hope in our hearts.

We all stretched upon first getting out of the car after being locked up in the small space for so long. Jesy and Jade shared a long overdue hug. I smiled at Leigh-Anne as we witnessed the happy moment.

Jade walked over beside me and grabbed my hand. I squeezed it for support, and she squeezed mine in return. We walked to the door of the cabin and braced ourselves for what was inside. Jesy knocked on the door, and we waited. After few moments, a small older woman opened up the door.

She smiled, "Hello, what can I do for you young ladies?"

Jesy smiled in return. "Is there a man here that removes wings from fallen angels?" Jesy asked. I then realized what this would have sounded like if Jesy had taken us to the wrong house.

The woman nodded. "He's not here right now. He's on a grocery run, but you young ladies are welcome to come inside." She smiled and motioned for us to enter the small cabin. We walked to the living room, and sat on the couch. "So which one of you is the fallen angel?"

Jesy spoke. "It's her and me." She pointed to Jade and then at herself. 

"Can I see your wings?" the woman asked. "I have tank tops that we give to all the angels we've helped that you two can change into so you don't rip your shirts."

Jesy and Jade nodded. The woman left to get the tank tops and I turned to Jade. "Are you nervous?" I asked her. Her hand clutched onto mine, and I felt as her hand grew sweaty as she sat there. Jade nodded. "You'll do fine. Everything will be fine and it'll be over before you know it."

"I hope so," her small voice spoke, and I smiled at her as the lady returned.

"Here you go," she handed them their small gray tank tops. "The bathroom is at the end of the hall on the left." They stood and I gave Jade's hand a squeeze before she left.

"How many angels have you done this to?" I asked the woman.

"Many. We don't really know the actual amount, but we've done this enough times to know exactly what we're doing," the woman smiled. Jesy then emerged from the hall in the gray tank top with her previous shirt in her hands. She sat the shirt down on the couch, and her wings sprouted from her back. The majority of them was white with only a few black feathers at the top.

I heard Leigh gasp beside me, and I remembered she had never seen a sight quite like this. "Oh! Your wings will do just fine!" The woman smiled at Jesy as she examined her wings.

Jade emerged from the hallway sporting the same gray tank top Jesy was wearing. Jade handed me her shirt and I took it. I ran my hands through the fabric of her shirt and took comfort in it.

As the woman continued to look over Jesy's wings, Jade stood next to Jesy. I saw her tiny hands shaking as she nervously stood there. I wanted nothing more than to comfort her and hold her hand as she did this, but she stood there as she awaited her turn.

The woman moved over to Jade and said, "There's no need to be nervous." Jade nodded, still nervous. Her jet black wings sprouted from her back and the woman gasped. "There may be a few complications with yours."

Jade's shaking got worse. "Will you still be able to save me from the evil?" her quiet voice asked.

"Most likely, yes. We've never had an angel whose wings we couldn't remove, and we've dealt with one or two angels that had gone completely evil. It's not easy, but it's possible," she smiled.

"You've dealt with people like me before, and they were okay?" Jade asked one more time for confirmation.

The woman nodded. I looked to Jesy. She had misinformed us and told us they had only had pure angels, but I smiled because this was good news.

  We all stopped what we were doing when the front door to the cabin opened. "I'm home!" the man said as he carried bags of groceries to their kitchen.

   "We have company!" the woman shouted back. When the man walked into the living room, he froze.

   "Jade?" he questioned. "Is that you?"

   I looked to Jade for an explanation, and her eyes were wide with surprise.

   "..Dad?"

My Instagram is jxrrie and I follow back if you'd want to check it out :)