Twenty

Jesy was the only one of us who knew how to get to our destination, so whenever she got so tired that she could hardly keep her eyes open, we pulled into a parking lot, and we all slept.

   When the sun rose from behind the trees, I awoke with it. I squinted my eyes and groaned wishing the sun would just go away, so I could have a few more hours of sleep.

I looked down to Jade, still asleep in my lap, and pictured us back home. I pictured us laughing and happy, and a smile grew on my face. I pushed back some strands of hair from the front of her face and shifted to make sure she was comfortable. Her hand rested on my knee, and I laid my hand on top of hers.

"If we do this again, someone has to stay up and watch Jade because she's liable to wake up at any time today." Jesy's voice startled me out of my trance, and I nodded.

"So how does this evil thing work?" Leigh-Anne asked. Apparently, she was awake too. Jesy started up the car, and began pulling out of the parking lot when Leigh said, "Will she wake up and try to escape the car or, like, try to stab us?" I never really put much thought into what would happen when Jade woke up. Would she try to hurt us?

Jesy chuckled. "No, Jade will still be Jade. Typically, something will trigger her, her eyes will turn orange, and that's when she begins to cause chaos."

"Typically?" I asked.

"In some fallen angels, it was found common for them to do this at random, so she's unpredictable really," Jesy explained.

"That's great news," Leigh sarcastically said. I had assumed if a fallen angel had turned evil, they were evil through the entire thing. I should learn not to assume things because now I know I'll get to see my Jade when she wakes up.

"How do you stop one of these evil outbursts?" I asked.

"Normally, once they get their way, they will go back to normal, but I've seen some that someone will end up calming them down, but it's difficult to do; the person has to mean a lot to the fallen angel," Jesy explained.

I now understand how Jade's father was disgusted with his actions after the incident with Bradley. He had calmed down, and realized he had done something very wrong. I can't imagine the hurt and regret these fallen angels must feel.

I opened Jade's notebook up and read some more passages. I became so intrigued with Jade's writing and the story of her father. When I ran out of passages, I wasn't sure what to do with the time I had left. I looked to Leigh-Anne to see what she was doing in the passenger seat, and I was greeted with a snore. I lightly chuckled. Even though we had only woken up a not to long ago, I took Leigh-Anne's idea and tried to fall asleep but was unsuccessful.

Jesy chuckled from the driver's seat. I opened my eyes to see her looking at me through the rear-view mirror. "Trying to sleep?" she asked me.

I chucked. "Yeah, but it's not happening. I don't know how Leigh-Anne-" I began saying, but stopped when I felt a little squeeze on my hand.

I looked down at Jade laying in my lap and all of her was still besides her hand which was gripping onto mine.

   "What were you saying?" Jesy asked me.

   I paused before whispering, "I think she's waking up."

   Jesy gasped, and I watched as Jade's eyes fluttered opened. Jade turned her head to look up at me, and her beautiful brown eyes looked into mine.

   "What happened?" she groaned. "Why am I moving?" she chuckled.

   I chuckled. "You're in a car."

   "Wait, who's driving?"

"Jade, it's me. It's Jesy!" Jesy exclaimed.

"Jesy?" Jade excitedly said as her face lit up. "What did you do? Did you sin?" Jesy and I took a few moments to explain to Jade the events of the last few days. Sometime during the story, Leigh woke up. "Three days!? I've been asleep for three days?"

I laughed. "Yeah, crazy isn't it?"

"Wait, Jesy, how did you learn to drive?" Jade chuckled.

"Y'know that cafe beside Manny Blake's house?" Jesy asked Jade.

"Yeah."

"So I finally went in there, and they had a driving simulator! I figured that since I was going to be coming down here to help you, Jade, instead of having Perrie drive, and me constantly telling her directions. It would just be easier for me to learn how to drive." Jade didn't answer, and I looked to her, but I was greeted with something I hoped not to see again. Her orange eyes were bright as they stared at me.

"Jesy..." I anxiously said.

"Yeah?"

"Her eyes are orange."

"Oh no," she sighed.

I apologize for the delay,,