Eight

"In heaven, we observe and protect. I have observed since the minute I was born, and I've protected since age 13. 

   It's like a dream being an angel. You are able to do magic, your only job is to watch,  your food gets made for you, and you have little to no worries.

    I had a best friend in heaven. It was Jesy, the angel that visited you and warned you of me. She and I were so close, and I was surprised when I found out they sent her down to tell you.

   Anyway, one day I had been doing my usual observing when I came across this beautiful girl. I was infatuated with her upon the first sight. As an angel, you're not supposed to only watch one person, but I started doing it anyway. Her brown eyes were just so intoxicating; I could stare in them for hours. I watched over her for over a year protecting her from little things like the common cold or sunburn. It wasn't long until I started feeling like I needed to protect her at all costs, and I got so attached to this girl that I would do anything to make sure she was safe.

   One night, she had been out late drinking the night away. I was worried about all the alcohol she had consumed, but I knew it wasn't her time of death, so I just kept watching with concern. She started talking to a man who offered her a ride to her house. However, this man did not plan on taking her to his house. This man had been a former rapist, and I could hear all the thoughts that were in his head, and they were not pretty. What he planned to do to her was far worse than death and would leave her emotionally scarred for the rest of her life.

I decided I would put an end to it, and I ignored the consequences. When the man started driving them home, I put a protective barrier around the beautiful girl, and then used magic to cause the car to crash. The man's life ended there, and I was immediately ejected from heaven," she sighed as she finished her story.

   A few questioned lingered in my brain and I wondered if I should ask her any. We were both laying back on her bed as our legs dangled off the end.

   "Magic? Do you still have that on earth like your eyes and wings?" I let my curiosity get the best of me.

   "No, they take away magic from a fallen angel. It wouldn't be safe for the people around them if they had magic at the same time they were being filled with darkness." She stated.

    "Do you miss it?" I asked.

    "Miss what?"

    "Heaven, the easy life, magic, Jesy?" I clarified.

    "The easy life would be nice, but it gets repetitive after years and years of experience. I do miss the magic. We were practically able to do anything. The thing I miss the most though is Jesy. I wish she would've visited me that day she visited you, but it isn't like Jesy to break rules. I like to believe she's been watching and protecting me. I'm just grateful that when I was put down here, I was put close to your house. My time on earth would be very different if a forty year old man or a family of eight opened the door. I'm glad it was you because you have made my time on earth so enjoyable, and you have helped me. I think you're my angel," she said. I turned my head to look at her, and when I looked, she was already looking at me smiling. I smiled back, and silence filled the air as we looked into each other's eyes.

    "Well, I know what we need to do next," I said as I sat up, and Jade did the same thing.

   "And what's that?" she giggled.

    "We need to find that girl you're crazy about," I laughed, and she got quiet. "What's wrong?" I asked her, and she shook her head. She looked like she was thinking about something.

   "Oh my gosh, did she die in the car accident too?" I asked and she stayed silent. I immediately engulfed her in a hug. She didn't hug me back, but when she cleared her throat, I pulled away.

   "She didn't die in the car accident. My magic protected her," she stated after a while with a quiet voice.

    "Then what's wrong?" I asked.

    She shook her head. "Nothing's wrong. I just don't know how you're going to react to something I haven't told you yet,"

    I looked at her with a confused expression. "What are you talking about?"

    "The beautiful girl I had been observing for over year, that girl was," she paused, and I waited. "I-it was Leigh-Anne."