Nine

sorry about the delay

     My eyes widened as everything began making sense. A miracle is how Leigh-Anne described her surviving the car accident. Who knew that miracle would be sitting beside me on the bed in my guest bedroom?

    "I'm- uh, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." She looked down at her hands. I put my hand under her chin and tilted her face to look at mine.

   "Don't be sorry. I know you've been frightened, and you've done a good job concealing it because I know you are so strong. Thank you for telling me," she nodded, and the room got silent for a few moments. I looked into her eyes, and then down at her lips wondering what they would feel like on mine.

   I quickly shooed away those thoughts before clearing my throat and standing. "I should probably head to bed. Goodnight Jade," I said as I began walking.

   I didn't hear her say anything, but when I reached the doorway, I felt a hand clench around my wrist. I abruptly turned, and was stunned when I felt her arms wrap around me in a tight hug. I wrapped my arms around her, and we hugged. "Goodnight, Perrie," she said before pulling away. I half-smiled and then headed to my room.

   As I laid in my bed, I couldn't get Jade off my mind and fell asleep with tears welled up in my eyes.

  The next morning, Jade burst through my door and proceeded to open my curtains. The loud bang from my door woke me up, and the light from the window shined in my eyes causing me to squint, and I groaned. "What are you doing?"

    "The sun is bright, the birds are chirping, and I am feeling particularly confident today. I have a plan, and you are going to help me with it," she said as she sat down next to me on my bed. I looked up at her, and she was wearing makeup. I hadn't seen her wearing makeup since the night of the storm when she banged on my door and it was streaming down her cheeks. I wondered where she got it.

   "Did you use my makeup?" I asked, squinting. She nodded her head.

   "But don't worry. I have a job now and I will be able to start supporting myself. Speaking of which work starts in an hour, and I already have breakfast ready, and we wouldn't want to eat it cold."

I groaned as I sat up. I walked out to the kitchen not bothering to deal with my bed head yet. I began eating the pancakes Jade made us as she began to explain her plan.

   "So I'm going to ask Leigh-Anne out on a date today, and you're going to make sure I go through with it. No matter what I say, make sure I do it," she said as she pointed her fork at me. I nodded as she continued, "I'm going to show up at her door today with a rose in my hand-"

   "Leigh doesn't like roses. She's more of a lily or orchid kind of person," I cut her off and she nodded.

    "I'll show up with whatever flower, and I'll ask her on a date in the fanciest restaurant in town, and I'll schedule it on the Saturday after I get my first paycheck."

    "Sounds like a good plan," I said, and I continued eating as did she.

   "What kind of flower person are you?" She asked me minutes later.

    "I think irises are beautiful. What about you?" I asked her as I took the last bite of the pancake she had made.

    "I have an appreciation for all types of flowers. There isn't any flower that you could show me that I don't think is beautiful." I smiled at her.

    We arrived at the studio after I tackled my bed head and got dressed. I let Jade photograph a family as I watched her to make sure she did everything correctly. I smiled when she got embarrassed; seeing her flustered was so cute.

    "You should receive your photos in 3-4 weeks. Thank you for choosing Edwards Photography!" she exclaimed after the family paid and chose the pictures they were most fond of.

    It was a bit of an empty house as the only other people we had today was a young couple that Leigh had already photographed.

    She came around the corner moments later. "Is it alright if I go home? I don't think anyone else is coming in today." Leigh asked, and I nodded. She thanked me and left.

    Jade and I stayed until closing time talking about life on earth and life in heaven.

    "Obviously you have more responsibilities on earth, but other than that it's pretty much the same. I had friends, and I had enemies. I had fears and insecurities. I had happy days, and I had sad days, but I did my job, and I loved. Love was what got me kicked out of heaven, but I am glad to have met you. You've changed my life, and I'm thankful for it, Perrie."