Sixteen

"Jade," I muttered before standing and running after her. Her eyes widened when she saw me; she turned around and ran in the opposite direction. I heard Leigh's footsteps behind me as I ran after Jade.

   She kept running, and we approached a forest. She didn't stop though, and I continued chasing her while dodging tree after tree.

   In a few moments, Jade slowed. She began coughing as she stood hunched over leaning on a tree. "This would've been so much easier," she paused to cough. "if I could still fly."

   "Do you actually want to be away from me that bad?" I asked with sadness laced in my voice.

   "Perrie, I care about you too much. I don't want you to be near me when there is no more white left in my wings."

Leigh ran up beside me out of breath. We all paused for a moment to catch our breath.

  "Why is she here?" Jade asked me wide eyed.

  "She helped me look for you. She's my best friend. You're going to have to accept her." I defended Leigh.

  "Perrie, I can't talk to you anymore until she's gone," Jade stubbornly said. My mind reeled with something to say to reason with Jade, but failed. "She doesn't even know the situation."

  Leigh looked at me confused. "What's the situation?" she asked. I looked from Leigh-Anne to Jade and back again. I felt as if I was going to explode with the amount of pressure I felt. "Well?" Leigh asked.

  "Jade's special?" I said, but it came out as more of a question. Jade scoffed, and Leigh-Anne looked at me with a deeper expression of confusion.

   "I'm an angel," Jade said while chuckling after. This behavior did not seem like the normal Jade. Is she getting lost in the darkness? The Jade I knew wouldn't act like this. Leigh scoffed, and I saw some fury brewing behind Jade's eyes.

   "No, no, Leigh-Anne, she's telling the truth. Show her, Jade," I said to Jade.

  "Show her what?" she asked acting innocent.

   "Your eyes or your wings," I muttered.

   "What are you talking about, Perrie?" she asked me with an innocent voice, but a smirk was plastered on her face. Jade had never treated me like this before, and I did not like it. She had seemed like she was okay before Leigh showed up and made her unhappy. I looked at Jade wide-eyed.

  "You know, your angel wings and your bright blue eyes," I clarified a last time.

  "My eyes are brown, Perrie," Jade fake-laughed. Why was she doing this?

  "Leigh, I am not crazy. Jade really has these things. I've seen them before, and I've seen another angel, Jesy's, wings." I said to Leigh, but then turned to Jade. "Remember Jesy? Leigh is my Jesy. She is my best friend, and yeah, she makes mistakes, but don't we all? You should know about mistakes better than anyone, Jade. Please, stop this nonsense, and show Leigh-Anne." I asked as a tear ran down my cheek.

   I saw a flicker of emotion behind Jade's brown eyes when Jesy was mentioned, but her emotionless expression returned soon after. "Perrie, I don't know what you're talking about," My tears fell faster as I stood there astonished.

  Leigh grabbed my wrist as she said, "C'mon Perrie, let's go. Jade doesn't need you anymore."

  "No, Leigh, I need to make sure she's okay," I muttered.

  "She's obviously okay, and she's gotten quite rude, so I think we should leave," Leigh reasoned with me.

  "It's because of the darkness. Her wings are probably all black right now. I got to find a way to reverse it. I have to make sure she's okay," I cried.

  "Listen to yourself, Perrie. People don't grow wings. You need to lay down and think about what you're saying right now. You sound insane."

   "Maybe I am," I muttered before leaning my head on Leigh-Anne's shoulder. She wrapped her arms around me and embraced me in a hug.

  "Perrie is still mine, Leigh. Don't get any ideas," Jade laughed.

   "You wanted nothing to do with her yesterday," Leigh muttered still hugging me. "Why do you want her back now?"

   I pulled away from Leigh, and Jade shrugged. "Come home with me, Jade," I smiled at her.

  Jade smirked and nodded, "gladly."

  "Is that such a good idea?" Leigh asked me. I nodded, but she continued. "Are you sure? She doesn't seem like a good person to be around."

   I saw the rage spark in Jade's eyes with every word Leigh spoke. Jade angrily walked towards Leigh. "Perrie can make her own decisions!" she yelled, and as she pulled back her hand to swing, I stepped in front of Leigh. In the fraction of a second before Jade's hand came in contact with my face, I saw her eyes turn to a color of bright orange, and I knew then that Jade's pureness was gone.

   I fell to the ground in pain, and when I looked up, Jade was on the ground unconscious. I looked to Leigh for an explanation.

  "I didn't do anything. She hit you, and then fell over."