Thirteen

The studio had been swarming with people to photograph the next morning, but as it got later, people filed out. By the afternoon, there was only one family left, and Jade had already begun photographing them.

I sat in the back with Leigh. Obviously, Jade was angry with Leigh, even after she apologized, but I forgave her. She knew I don't like what she did, but I figured it'd be stupid to hold a grudge against someone I call my best friend.

    "So now that we're on good terms again, I can finally tell you what happened," I said to Leigh, and she looked up at me. "Jade and I hooked up," I said excitedly, but quiet enough that Jade didn't hear.

"I knew something happened between you two. You've been all over each other since you two walked into the door. I'm surprised you're back here talking to me," she chuckled, and I blushed. "Y'know, Perrie, you never mentioned how you met Jade."

   "She just kinda showed up-" I began saying, but stopped myself before I revealed something I shouldn't.

   Leigh-Anne looked at me, confused. "Showed up where?" she asked.

   I felt my hands start shaking as I tried to think of a lie in a short amount of time. I was unsuccessful, and mentally scolded myself for it. "My house," I muttered.

  Leigh-Anne's eyes widened. "So you're taking in strays now?" she questioned. I sensed humor in her statement, but her face didn't show any.

I nervously laughed. "It wasn't like that. It isn't like that. She showed up. It was storming. She was cold. My house was warm."

"She could've been a psychopath, Perrie. What compelled you to let her live with you?" she asked worriedly.

"The more important thing is that she is not a psychopath," I said trying to avoid her question. She might not be a psychopath, but she's slowly becoming one, I thought to myself.

   "I just don't know where your head's at. If someone shows up to my door, I'd realize they aren't my responsibility," she stated. "Did she tell you anything about her past? Has she opened up to you?"

   I closed my eyes and nodded.

   "And?" Leigh-Anne pressed on.

   "And everything is fine. She's not dangerous. She never has been. There was only one bad thing, but it's not a big deal," I rambled.

  "What is the bad thing?" she asked with concern.

   I can't explain this to Leigh-Anne. She would think Jade and I are crazy, and I can't just tell her Jade had murdered someone; there is a lot more to the story than just that.

   "I'm sorry, Leigh Anne, but that's not my business to tell," I said as genuinely as possible.

"Don't say I didn't warn you," she said.

"But I have feelings for her, and I can't just let her go," I admitted to Leigh.

"Just be careful," Leigh said before standing and exiting. Suddenly, her words infuriated me. She doesn't know anything about the situation with Jade, so who is she to warn me about her?

Jade popped her head in. "Hey, Perrie," she giggled.

"Hi, Jade," I said as happily as I could.

"Oh no, what's wrong?" she said, taking a seat beside me. Apparently, I didn't say it happily enough.

   "Just Leigh; she said something," I said looking down at my enclosed hands. Jade saw what I looked at, and she grabbed my hands and opened them.

   "Don't work yourself up too much," she whispered before connecting our lips. When she pulled away, I smiled. I smiled because of this metaphorical and literal angel sitting in front of me, kissing my lips, and making me happy. I leaned back in for another kiss before hearing a scoff from outside.

I stood up and exited the room to find Leigh-Anne walking away. "Leigh-Anne!" I shouted. She spun around and her arms rested across her chest.

"Yes?" she questioned.

"Let me be happy!" I loudly said through gritted teeth. Something had set her off about that statement as she made quick strides for me. I walked backwards, fearful.

"I'm being a good best friend. I'm looking out for you, but you don't care. You can't hear anything I say to you," she said frustrated. I cowered back, but Leigh kept moving forwards.

   Mason, another employee at Edwards Photography, saw this and ran to split this up. He stood in between us, and outstretched his arms. My facial expression turned into one of astonishment as his hand collided with my nose. I fell to the ground out of shock, and hit the back of my head on the corner of the wall.

   I cried out in pain as Mason and Leigh crouched down to make sure I was alright.

   "I'm so sorry!" Mason apologized. "I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry!"

   "Get out!" I heard Jade scream. I tried standing up when I heard her voice, but Leigh told me not to move, and she was going to get me tissues.  I reached up to touch the back of my head, and felt blood streaming down. "Get out of here!" Jade screamed at Mason again.

   Mason used this opportunity to leave the studio, and Jade paced around the little area.

   "You're doing good," I coughed out to Jade. "Keep fighting it," I said before Leigh returned with the much needed tissues.