Seventeen

Leigh-Anne helped me up, and I scrambled over to Jade to make sure she was still breathing. I let out a sigh of relief when I felt her steady pulse. I pushed some hair back from her face as I hoped the loving girl I knew was still somewhere in there.

  I picked up Jade's body, bridal style, and carried her out of the forest. Leigh followed close behind. "What do you think happened to her?" Leigh asked me.

  "I don't know, but I'm scared," my voice cracked as I fought back tears. As we exited the forest, we tried to look as normal as possible, but it was hard to with an unconscious person in my arms.

   I got looks from various strangers, but none approached me. We got to the McDonald's parking lot. "I'm driving," I told Leigh-Anne. She nodded to me and opened the back door for me. I sat Jade's body in a sitting position and buckled her seatbelt.

   After closing the door, I hopped into the driver's seat as Leigh hopped in the passenger. It wasn't a long drive to my house, but it felt like hours.

  "Why aren't you taking her to the hospital?" Leigh asked me worriedly.

   "I can't, Leigh-Anne. She really is an angel, and she said the government doesn't like angels." I told Leigh. She looked at me like I was crazy as she hopped out of the car.

   She helped me bring Jade's unconscious body inside. I laid her down on her bed and sat down beside her.

   "I really think you should take her to the hospital," Leigh muttered while standing and looking at us on the bed.

   "If tomorrow comes, and she's not awake, I will, but give it time, Leigh-Anne," I said to Leigh, but while looking at Jade. Her sweet eyes were closed and her lips were slightly agape. I pushed her hair out of her face and looked down at her sadly. "I just hope she's okay."

   "If she really is an angel, she might have a way out of this?" Leigh-Anne tried to help, but failed.

   "It doesn't work like that," I sadly said as a tear ran down my cheek. "You can stay in my room tonight if you want." I wiped my cheek. "I'm going to sleep in here, and I'd feel better if you were in the same house as me," I looked up at Leigh as I saw a single tear run down her cheek.

   "Sorry I just hate seeing you so hurt," she wiped her cheek and forced a smile. She exited the room and left me with Jade. My tears fell faster as I looked at her. I laid there for a while before my tears slowed, and Leigh popped her head in the door.

"I made us food," she mumbled. I nodded as I got up from my spot on the bed. "Tell me about Jade," Leigh said as we sat at the table and began eating.

   "She showed up at my house, drenched in water and looking helpless. I let her in, and she didn't seem very trustworthy, but I trusted her regardless. She was very clueless about most things which I found incredibly adorable," I paused to chuckle as I thought about all the times I had to explain something to Jade. "One night, a woman named Jesy showed up in my room. Her eyes were a brighter blue than any human's could ever be, and bright white wings could sprout out from behind her. I was amazed. She told me that Jade was going to be dangerous when her wings turned black because Jade's a fallen angel. She sinned and got kicked out of heaven." I stopped to eat some food as Leigh questioned me.

   "How did she sin?" she asked me.

   "Actually, Leigh, she saved your life. Remember the car accident you were in? The man driving the car was planning to do horrible things to you, but she protected you and wrecked the car. She killed that horrible, horrible man, and saved you from whatever he planned to do to you. The doctors described it as a miracle, but Jade is that miracle." I told Leigh-Anne.

"Wow, I'll have to thank her when she wakes up," Leigh said with wide eyes. I continued to tell her about my experiences with Jade as we ate.

When it was about time for sleep and I had told Leigh everything I know about fallen angels, I opened the door to Jade's room, and found her, still unconscious, lying on her bed. I fell asleep next to her and hoped that tomorrow she would wake up, and I would see her smile and beautiful eyes once again.

I awoke in the morning to a pounding on the door. It was a pounding similar to the loud and incessant pounding that introduced me to Jade. I hopped up from my spot on the bed and ran to the door.

"Who is that?" I heard Leigh shout from my room. I opened the door and was faced with a woman I knew I knew, but I couldn't place a name to her face.

Regardless, she barged into my house past me. "It took me forever to find this place," was the words she greeted me with.