Seven

Jade had been staying in my house for a while now, and I still didn't know why she got kicked out of heaven, and as I thought about it some more, it started to really bother me. What could she have done? Was it a minor sin or was it something much more dark?

   I decided that I would ask her, but I had to wait for the right moment. When I walked in the kitchen that morning, she was in there attempting to make food again.

   She had my phone open to a pancake recipe, and she was covered in flour. "Do you need help?" I asked, and my voice startled her.

   "No, I think I've got this," she chuckled as she showed me the finished pancakes. She started putting the ingredients away. She walked past me carrying the flour, and I watched as she stuck her hand in it pulling out some. She proceeded to throw it on my head and laugh about it.

   I gasped and stood up as I walked over to the sink and acted like I was washing off the flour. I surprised her by grabbing the sprayer and aiming it towards her. She shrieked as I laughed.

   "Okay, stop," she giggled as I stopped the water.

  "Now let's eat these pancakes of yours," I laughed. As we ate, I thought about asking her about her departure from heaven, but I didn't want to ruin the happy moment.

I think if anyone else would've showed up at my door the night of the storm, I'd never let them stay this long. Jade is different, though. I really enjoyed spending time with her.

When we finished eating, I cleaned up the table. "No more phone robbing," I said as I picked up my phone and stuck it in my back pocket. She nodded and I continued talking. "Why don't we find you a job? Then you'll be able to afford your own phone," I suggested. If she was going to be living on earth, I supposed she should start acting like a human.

"Okay, but where?" she asked.

"Do you have any hobbies or any interests?" I asked.

"I like to write. I've actually been working on something for a while now. It's a true story that happened to me, and I thought that if I published it, humans would be fascinated. Of course they wouldn't know it's true, but I still think they would enjoy it," she said and ended with a big smile.

"That's wonderful, Jade," I smiled. "The only problem is you're not making money right now while you're writing it. Do you think you could get a side job?" I asked.

Jades eyes lit up as she said, "Perrie! Why don't I work with you? I'm not skilled enough to do anything, but you can teach me, and you already know my story, so I won't have people thinking I'm stupid for not knowing how to do simple things, and what if I were to get one of those crazy painful feather things? You would be there to help me."

   I thought about it a couple moments before deciding. "I guess so, I'd have to fire someone first, but I'd been thinking about firing Robert for weeks now. He never shows up on time." I laughed, and she smiled.

   "When can we start training me?" she asked.

    "Tomorrow?" She answered my question by nodding her head.

Over the past few days she had been staying here, Jade had been borrowing my clothes, and now that she'll have a job, she'll be able to afford her clothes. She'll be able to help out on rent, and pitch in for dinner.

   It felt nice that Jade was going from someone I had to take care of to a roommate. I didn't mind taking care of her, but I'm proud of how far she had come. I would miss living alone, but I think if Jade left now, it would feel empty as if there was something missing.

    I started training her the next day, and it was obvious she would need lots of help and practice, but I was willing to make sure she got the hang of it. I was hoping it didn't take too long because I had fired Robert first thing that morning, and I was hoping I wouldn't end up regretting it.

   We stayed in the studio for extra hours after closing, so I could give Jade more tips and more teaching. I used this opportunity to ask her about how she got kicked out of heaven.

She answered with, "I flew down to earth on an unsupervised visit, and then lied about it," she shrugged it off, and I nodded. I wondered about what made her want to come down to earth so bad. I'd imagine heaven being better than earth.

As we came home late that day, Jade and I were both tired as can be, and instantly went into our bedrooms.

   However, it wasn't that long until Jade called me over with a pained voice. When I walked in, her wings were already out. "There's two of them this time," she said pointing to her wings. I reached over and pulled the white feathers out of the black one at a time and handed them to her. The black of her wings had only gotten a tiny bit larger, but not enough to be concerned.

"What made your wings get blacker?" I asked her.

"I- uh...I told a lie today," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. She retracted her wings, and threw on a shirt over her bra.

"To me?" I asked, and she nodded. "What was it?"

"I lied to you about how I got kicked out of heaven," she admitted, and I closed my eyes with disappointment. "Oh, don't be sad. I'm sorry. I won't do it again," she tried convincing me, but I stood up and starting walking away.

"Perrie, wait!" she shouted. I stopped, but didn't turn around. "I'll tell you."