"Can we please go home already?" Ashton grumbled, his fingers interlaced with mine and holding tight.

We've been asked to stay here for a while longer as the detectives needed to talk to us. They let us into an office and asked us -nicely- to wait here while they grab some files. It was me, Carol, and Ashton in the room. The others said they'd head to Carol's home and meet us there.

"Here they come," Carol sat up straighter as the detectives' figures appeared behind the glass door.

They both walked in, detective Rivera and detective Riggs, with files in their hands. Apologising for taking long, they grabbed two chairs and sat in them, facing us as they placed the files on the small coffee table between us.

"We've gathered enough evidence to convict both Kevin and George," detective Riggs said.

I felt like a ginormous weight had been finally lifted from my chest. Ashton's hand squeezed my own, his thumb caressing my skin.

"A trial in the coming weeks. They will be appointed a lawyer. You can hire your own if it is possible or we could appoint you one," explained detective Rivera.

"No worries, it's covered," Carol suddenly spoke up. She gave me a nod and a wink when I looked at her with confusion.

"Now, it is important that you present every single evidence you have or can find, I'm sure your lawyer will go deeper into that," detective Rivera gave me a pointed look, "Kevin is now held here for the meantime until trial."

I felt like a bucket of ice was thrown at me at the mention of his name.

"He hasn't spoken yet. Luckily, he hasn't pressed any charges against you young man," detective Riggs gave a pointed look to Ashton now.

"As if he has any right to," Ashton scoffed.

"What you did was dangerous, very dangerous," the detective warned.

"It doesn't matter. I found him, he payed for the pain he's caused and now he'll be locked up. That's what's important," Ashton spoke with anger.

My hand squeezed his, my thumb going over his knuckles, trying to somewhat calm him down.

"You're one lucky guy," detective Riggs sighed, not interested in starting an argument.

"Is there anything more you need detectives? We'll get in contact with our lawyer, but is there anything more we need to be informed of?" Carol decided to change the mood in the room.

"Oh yes," detective Rivera perked up, sitting closer, his eyes settling on me. "I know it will be difficult, but your presence at the trial is very important. We are not lawyers and I am sure your own will guide through everything, but look," detective Rivera breathed in, "I have a daughter and I am handling this case like no other. We both want to help us much as we can despite our job being done once we brought both of them in."

My throat tightened, my eyes looked at the detectives and then to Carol and Ashton. With a weak voice I replied, "Okay," referring to the trial, and added a much grateful, "Thanks".

"He won't hurt you anymore. You're safe now," detective Riggs stated, followed by the other's nod.

It's funny how I've longed to hear those words, and now, as I hear them, they seem like words from a foggy dream.

"Ouch," Ashton winced.

"Oh shut up," I chuckled, passing the cotton ball over his cut again.

Ashton huffed, but didn't say much more. I worked on, dabbing some cream onto his bruises.