Chapter 31

Tris POV
I see Caleb. I know there's no time for this. I look at him and I swear for a brief second as Tobias is running, I see Calebs dark brown eyes just staring into my soul. I don't really feel bad for him. I realize now I'm in the infirmary. Tobias is still carrying me. He's yelling something. But I can't get Caleb out of my head. He's my brother. I loved him, I looked up to him." Tris!" Tobias yells at me snapping me out of my daze. I look at him he sets me down on a hospital bed." Mrs. Eaton, I won't lie this is going to hurt. A lot." Dr. Brown says." I don't care just make it stop bleeding!" I yell. Tobias holds my hand." Look at me baby." He says. I stare into his eyes." Everything is gonna be okay." He says. I smile. Then I hear a very loud CRACK." What the hell!" I scream." I told you Mrs. Eaton." Dr. Brown smirks." You asshole give me pain killers!" I scream." Janet get her some pills!" Dr. Brown yells at the nurse. She nods and goes to get them. Tobias pulls my chin over to him." It's gonna be okay baby I know it hurts but I know everything will be okay." Tobias says. He kisses my head. The nurse comes back in with pills." Here Tris." Tobias takes the pills and some water and gives them to me. I take the pills and try to relax. I grab Tobias's hand again." Well Tris, what color cast do you want?" Dr. Brown asks. I groan." Tob- Four, pick one." I say almost saying his real name." Um red." He says. Dr. Brown nods." Okay Tris I'll get you all set." Then he wraps my cast with red stuff. Tobias hugs me. I feel like crying." I'm sorry it hurts." Tobias says." I'm okay." I say." That's my big strong girl." Tobias says and puts his arm around me. We head home. I don't see Caleb anywhere. I sigh." What's wrong Tris?" Tobias asks." Nothing." I lie." Tris I know when you're lying to me." He says." I'm just a little upset about Caleb." I say. Trying not to tear up. I can't cry. I have to be strong." Baby crying doesn't make you weak. It just means you've been strong for too long." Tobias says. He hugs me. I hug back. I let myself go. I cry so hard I almost fall on my knees. Luckily Tobias is here to catch me." I got you Trissy." He says and we go home. We get home. I hear Shai crying. Robert is gone." Shai!" I yell." Mommy!" I hear her yell. I run to her room. She's sitting on the floor." Shai are you okay?!" I yell making sure she doesn't have any bruises or something." Mommy I was all alone!" She yells and tears stream down her face. I pick her up." It's okay Shai. I'm so sorry. I'll never leave you again. Tobias walks in." Robert left a note." He says. I sit down. I hold Shai as tight as I can. Tobias hugs both of us." We can't leave her Tobias." I say." I know baby, I know." He says. I tear up." Daddy you left me." Shai says wiping away her tears." I'm sorry Shai. I'll never do it again." Tobias promises. I feel his grip get tighter. He's crying." Tobi." I say. He puts his head on my shoulder." I'm so sorry Tris." He says trying to stop crying. He breathes heavily." Tobias you didn't do anything wrong. It was me. I'm sorry." I kiss his head." Daddy it's gonna be otay." Shai says lifting up Tobias's head, or trying to. He giggles." I love you both so much." He kisses both our heads. I smile. I think Shai has her first fear. Being alone. I get off the floor with Shai. The doorbell rings." I'll get it Tobi." I say handing Shai to Tobias. I open the door and see Robert." Tris I know you're mad at me but-" I cut him off." Mad? You have no idea. I'm going to kill you." I put my hand around my neck and his head dangles over the railing on the stairs that lead up to the apartment." It's a long way down so I think you should start explaining before you die." I say pushing him farther." Tris." He says." I'm sorry." He says." Me too." I drop him. I see his lifeless eyes look into my soul. I grab his hand. This isn't who I am. I'm not a murderer. I hold on as tight as I can. I pull." Tris you saved me!" Robert yells. I ignore him and try to pull him up. Only having one hand, I can't pull him up." Four! Help!" I yell. Tobias runs. He's still holding Shai." Shai stay here I'll be right here." He says putting her down. Tobias grabs Roberts arms. He almost just shoves me away. I fall on the ground by Shai." Haha momma you fell on you butt!" Shai laughs like cray. Tobias gets Robert up. He sees me on the ground." Haha Tris I pushed you on your butt!" Tobias laughs." Asshole." I mumble and kick his leg. He stumbles. I get up." Haha you almost fell on your butt!" I fake laugh. I pick up Shai. We sit in the living room. Robert and Tobias enter." Daddy! She fell on her butt!" Shai laughs like crazy again." It's so funny daddy." She says between laughs. Tobias laughs. Robert awkwardly stands." Hey I don't like him." Shai says." Shai. Shh." I shush her. She pouts." Why don't you go to your room and pick out what you want to wear today." I whisper to Shai. She nods and runs to her room." Robert you have 5 minutes to tell us why you left our daughter here alone." Tobias says. I stare at Robert. He looks nervous." Listen Tris. Dauntless isn't safe. Jeanie is forming an attack. I left to get you, I saw her here." Robert says in a panicked voice." You need to get your friends and leave. Both of you." He says. I look at Tobias. He has fear in his eyes. I stand up." Robert, thank you for the information." I say. I go to me and Tobias's room. I get a suitcase and put some clothes in. I see a picture of me, Tobias, Uriah, Marlene, Zeke, Shauna, Christina, Will, Lynn, and Tori. I put it in the suitcase. I get my brushes and Tobias's things. The suitcase is packed. I go to Shai's room." Hey Shai." I walk into her room. She has her pants on her head. I giggle." Shai." She takes them off. I get a backpack, I put in Shai's clothes, her blanket, and some of her toys." We're going on a trip okay Shai?" I ask." Okay mama." She says. She gets her teddy bear and hugs it." Bye teddy." She puts it on her bed." Shai you can take teddy with you." I smile. Her eyes fill with excitement. She grabs her teddy. She pulls out a dress she wants to wear. I help her put it on. She hugs her teddy bear tightly.

"Come on teddy we gotta go somewhere

"Come on teddy we gotta go somewhere." Shai says to her bear." Mommy can I bring my other toys." She asks. I don't have room for all her toys. I sigh." You can get two more stuffed animals Shai." I say. She smiles and gets her monkey and bunny. They're both smallish. Shai holds all her stuffed animals. I have her puzzles, and some other little kid toys. I see her holding her toys." Now Teddy, mr. M, and bun bun. You all have to be good we're going on a trip." Shai says to her toys I feel tears stream down my face. Tobias walks in." Robert is gone." He says. I nod. I take Tobias's hand." Tobi, we need to go to Factionless. It's the only place we'll be safe." I say. He tenses up. He hugs me." I haven't seen her in years." Tobias says." Who?" I ask." My mother."