Chapter Ten

London’s Point of View

 It’s been five months since I’ve talked, seen, or even asked about Chris. I’ve got a job as a second grade teacher at Pinewood elementary school. Zack lives with my grandmother and mother up in San Diego. I go to see them about once or twice every month. Anyways, I looked into the mirror. I was dressed in a white New Look textured skater dress, with nude Timeless Botina ankle strap sandals. My hair was up in a bun. It’s the last week of school.

 I grabbed my white Michael Kors jet set tote. I walked out of the bedroom, downstairs. I grabbed my keys off of the counter, walking out of the house. I traded in my other car for a black Mercedes Benz GL class. I walked down the pathway to it. I got in, putting the key into the ignition. I pulled off, turning up the radio a little bit. I pulled into the parking lot of the school. I took the key out of the ignition, getting out. I made sure to grab my purse. I walked into the school, walking down to the second grade hallway. I walked into my classroom to see my assistant, Jamia.

 ‘’Hey Jamia.’’ I said, sitting my purse down beside the inside of my desk.

 ‘’Goodmorning, I brought food.’’ She said, pulling out a McDonalds bag. She placed a biscuit and a cup of caramel iced coffee on my desk.

 ‘’Thank you, what should we do today?’’ I asked, walking over to the board. I began to erase things that were on the board.

 ‘’We put on a movie then let the kids sleep.’’ She suggested. I nodded my head then walked back over to my desk. I ate some of the biscuit and drank some coffee. My first students began to arrive around 7:15. After a while, most of my students were here except for one student, Ashley.

 ‘’Alright, class. Today we are going to watch some movies then we’ll take naps or go out and play.’’ I said, looking at all of their faces. ‘’What movie should we watch? Frozen, Shrek, or Diary of a Wimpy Kid?’’ I asked.

 ‘’Diary of a Wimpy Kid!’’ They yelled aloud. I walked over to the computer, putting in Diary of a Wimpy Kid. The movie started playing. I walked back to my desk, sitting down. I ate the rest of my biscuit. Ashley walked into the room, with her black hoodie on. Her head was down. She walked toward my desk, handing me her note. She walked over to her cubby, putting up to her bookbag then sitting in the back, by herself. I got up, walking over to her.

 ‘’What’s wrong?’’ I asked, touching on her back. She flinched then shook her head. ‘’Come with me into the hallway.’’ I said, getting up. She got up, walking behind me. We walked into the hallway, after I closed the door behind myself. ‘’Ashley, take off your hoodie.’’ I said. She did what I said. I looked at the big bruise on her arm. ‘’Is there anymore?’’ I asked. She nodded, pointing to her back. I lifted her shirt to see a bruise. ‘’Go back into the room, tell Ms. Taylor that I have to go to the restroom.’’ I said. She nodded, walking back into the classroom. I walked down the hall, to the library. Mrs. Ray was sitting behind her desk.

 ‘’Goodmorning, Ms. Brooks. Shouldn’t you be in your classroom?’’ She inquired, sipping out of her solid black coffee mug.

 ‘’I needed to see a phone book if you have one.’’ I said. She placed a phone book into my hands. I walked over to one of the tables, sitting down. I looked for the number to Child Protective Services. Once I got it, I took my phone from my bra. I dialed the number then waited for someone to answer.

 ‘’Hello, this is Child Protective Services. How may I assist you?’’ The person asked.

 ‘’Yes I would like to report a child around the age of eight being abused.’’ I said, putting on my best professional voice.