Chapter Thirteen: The Theorist

Nate jumped, turning to see Mat awake as well. He stretched his arms out and yawned, standing up. "Metal is definitely not good for my back." Mat bent back, stretching out his back. "Geez."

"Well hello to you too Mat." Nate chuckled. He smiled and shoved his hands in his pockets. "Finally, a nice morning." The ebony sighed, looking at the sun as it peeked above some clouds.

"Yeah, for being the most deadliest day of the year, it's pretty nice." Mat agreed, then looked away. He sniffed a bit. "B-But, at least I know we're stronger as a group...."

"You got that right." Nate said, continuing to watch the sunrise. "I'd hate to be alone during all this."

Mat nodded and turned back, walking past Mark and Sean, who were waking. The theorist grabbed the edge of the toppled SUV and pulled himself up. Swinging a leg over the top, he sat atop the SUV, surveying the deserted highway peacefully.

Mark sat up, noticing the Irishman awake next to him. Sean groaned and blinked before getting to his feet.

"Hey Jack. Ready to get going? Nate said we've got a long road ahead of us." Mark said, taking out his phone. The screen was cracked behind repair, but he could read and see a little. He read the clock, 10:32 AM. The Purge was over! It was finally over! All the blood and suffering, over!

He noticed the News app had over 300 notifications and opened it. Mark's brown eyes gazed over the words.

"Government attacked by a terrorist group named TFU. We are under a permanent Purge, I repeat PERMANENT PURGE! " The words spun around in Mark's head as he screamed bloody murder. He smashed his hands over his ears, dropping the phone.

"IT'S ALL OVER!" Mark yelled hysterically. He started to cry, when Sean placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Mark?" He asked. "What's all over?"

Mark pursed his lips. "T....The Purge....l....look...." He grabbed his phone and shoved it in the Irishman's hands. "No.....not....any....more..."

Sean eyes widened as he saw those words. "Mat! Nate!" He called, but the musician and theorist was already there. Sean tossed the phone to Nate, who caught it and showed it to Mat. They both then went pale.

Mat's eyes dimmed. "And I thought this damn thing was over." He clenched his fists and held his breath.

"Big words coming from you Mat." Nate joked, nudging his side.

"Very funny. I can curse whenever I damn want to." Mat crossed his arms. He scoffed and turned away.

Sean sighed and helped Mark to his feet. "Quit ya bickering. We've gotta long way to go if we want ta get somewhere safe. Nate, does your speed work?" He asked the musician.

Nate closed his eyes, taking off in a run, but he was at normal human pace. He shook his head and wheezed. "Guess....not..." He panted.

Sean hung his head. "Walking it is then."

<A Few Hours Later>
A few hours into their journey, they had not spotted anything but road and steel. They also saw some wrecks, but no bodies or supplies were found.

Nate shielded himself from the sun with his hand. "How...much longer Jack?" He asked, out of breath.

Sean paused, checking Mark's phone. "Another half hour till Seattle." He sighed and shoved it back in his pocket.

Mat turned to Nate. "So what-"

Mat was cut off when he heard engines. About four or so, and they sounded like trucks. Above the horizon in front of them were four black truck-like vans.

Nate saw the vans and immediately grabbed Mat's shoulder. "Run. Run into the woods as far as you can!" He pushed the theorist, who took off. "You too!" He waved at the two other YouTubers.

Mark and Sean nodded. They took off, but Mat hid behind a nearby tree. He wanted to help as much as possible, even if he didn't have powers.

Nate huffed and stood still as the vans approached. They braked to a halt and several masked men and women hopped out. One looked in higher power than the others, which was a tall man in a bright orange metal fox mask. He had two pistols strapped across his chest and the rest had either rifles or shotguns.

"Hello." Fox Man said with a deep voice. Voice modifier, smart.

"H-Hi." Nate replied.

"I am Sly, leader of Squad SF. We are here to find a man by the name of Matthew Patrick. I was told he was traveling with you." Sly said, peering through his mask.

"H-He's not." Nate lied. "Not at all."

Sly scoffed, resting a hand over one of his pistols. "Now tell the truth buddy. That sure as h*** was lying. Now sing little birdie." The male taunted Nate.

"HE. IS. NOT. HERE. Is that clear enough for you?" Nate spat.

Sly chuckled. "Gotta love being expendable, huh?" The taller male grabbed one of his pistols, whipping it out and pointing it at Nate. "Talk Mr. Smith, or Sharp. Whatever."

Nate gulped. "He left out group. Ran out this morning." The musician looked at Sly, who sighed.

"You still ain't telling the truth. Tell me where you put Mr. Patrick, or I WILL fire." Sly threatened, his finger over the trigger.

"He is not here." Nate snarled. If he was shot, so be it.

Mat watched. He soon realized this was playing out like his dream was. Could he see the future?

"Fine then. Goodbye." Sly then pressed the trigger.

Mat ran and ran, watching time stop. Green light flashed as he saw himself vanish and take Nate's spot.

BANG!

Nate closed his eyes and then opened them.

"MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!"