Chapter 32

Sam POV

Two days. That was how long Michael had been in the hospital. He was still hanging on, but I didn't know if he could for much longer.

The hospital called and said that the internal bleeding started again. The doctors weren't sure if the surgery would stop it this time, so we all went to see him. I walked into Michael's room on the third day with Daniel and the guys. Michael lay still on the hospital bed, his face as pale as the sheets. I handed Daniel to Ashton and rushed to his side. I grabbed his hand and squeezed.

"Michael, wake up. We're all here. Your family's here. Come on. Please wake up," I begged desperately.

I knew it sounded selfish, but I didn't want him to die in his sleep. I wanted to see his green eyes one more time. I wanted him to talk to his son. I wanted to tell him I love him one last time.

His eye slowly fluttered open, answering my prayers.

"Sammy," he said weakly, his voice just barely a whisper.

"Yeah, it's me," I replied.

"Where's Daniel?" Michael asked.

"Right here," Ashton said, placing my son on my lap.

"Hey, buddy," Michael said.

"Daddy!" Daniel cheered, slamming his tiny fists on Michaels's chest.

Michael winced in pain. I pulled Daniel's hands off and scolded him.

"Daddy's in a lot of pain right now, okay? You can't hit him," I said.

"Okay," he said. "Sorry, Daddy."

"He's such a good kid," Michael said.

"Yeah. We're raising him right," I said.

"Sammy, I need to tell you something," he said.

"Wait. Before you speak there's something important-"

A familiar feeling rose in my throat. I dashed out of the room and just barely made it to a waste basket before throwing up. I gripped the sides as my breakfast from this morning spewed out of my mouth.

Soon, it was just bile. I went to the bathroom and rinsed my mouth out. I took a mint and placed it in my mouth. Karen entered the restroom. Her scared expression caused the nausea to come back, but I held it down.

"Sammy, you need to get back there now. We're losing him," she said.

I ran back as fast as I could. I sat down in the chair next to his bed. I took his hand in mine and rubbed it with my thumb, my breathing becoming harder and shorter.

"You said you'd never leave me. Please stay. I need you here. I love you," I said, my voice cracking.

Michael placed two of my fingers on his neck. I felt his pulse. It was just barely there. The soft beat caused tears to spring to my eyes.

"Samantha, I'm going to die," he said.

"Michael, stop. You're gonna be okay," I said, even though I knew it wasn't true.

"I'm going to die, Sam, and I need you to listen to me. You're going to miss me. You're going to think of ways you could've saved me, ways you could've stopped this from happening. You're going to fall apart. You're going to blame yourself, but it's not your fault, okay? I love you. I always will," he said and kissed my forehead, groaning in pain from the motion.

"Michael, I need you. I need you to stay. Please," I whimpered.

"Take care of Daniel while I'm gone. He's going to need his mother," Michael said.