Chapter 12

Today was the day my heart was broken. Today was the day Michael left me...

---

Michael POV

Today was the day I decided to break the news to Sam. She deserved someone who wouldn't cross her or strenuate her mind enough that she became helpless.

I did this to her. No one else.

I'd been hiding it for two weeks and the guilt was killing me. I could barely look her in the eye. I hid it from her for so long because I was scared. I was scared that she'd never speak to me again. I was scared that we'd never be the same.

*~*

As I waited in the parking lot to pick up Sam from school, I kept trying to reiterate what I had planned to say to her.

She caught a glimpse of my face and seemed surprisingly happy today. My heart was already pounding, and my hands couldn't stop shaking from knowing that I would ruin something so precious.

"Hi, Mikey," she said and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, Samantha. Listen, we-"

"Oh! I have to tell you something. In my music course, we were watching covers and one of them just happened to be you and the guys singing," Sam said.

"That's cool, but-"

"Oh, I love this song," She said and turned up the volume on the radio. I turned it down again.

"Hey! Why did you do that?" She whined.

"Samantha, we- you know what? Never mind. I'm sorry," I said and turned the music back on.

I could see her watching me out of the corner of my eye. She sighed heavily and looked out the window. I relaxed my shoulders and focused on driving.

*~*

We arrived at her house, and I followed inside behind her. As I went to shut the front door, I turned around and she was already halfway up the stairs looking straight at me with a smile.

"I just realized that today was our month anniversary. I can't believe it's been that long," she said.

"Oh, yeah. It is, isn't it?" I said awkwardly.

I gulped down my thoughts and walked up to Sam's bedroom. How could I forget about that? Oh yeah, because I was an asshole with shit news.

"Let's just watch some movies or something. Is that okay with you?" I asked.

"Yeah, I didn't want to make today a big deal. I don't understand why people find one month anniversaries so important," she said.

"Neither do I."

This got a little bit easier. Just a little.

Sam put in a movie and sat down next to me. I hesitantly wrapped my arm around her. She rested her head on my shoulder.

"You know I love you, right?" I said.

"Yeah. Why?" She asked

"Just wondering," I said.

"Okay. I'm going to get some water," she said and stood up.

She opened the door, and at that precise moment, Zoe showed up right on the other side.

Sam POV

"Zoe? I thought you were at your friend's house," I said.

She walked right by me and went up to Michael, who was now standing. She kissed him on the cheek, and he didn't even flinch.