Chapter 22

Today was the first ultrasound. Michael was very excited to go.

---

Sam POV

Michael was running around trying to get ready for the appointment. I just sat on the couch amused by his actions.

"What's so funny?" He asked when I started laughing.

"You. You're running around like it's a zombie apocalypse," I said.

"Why aren't you getting ready?" He asked.

"Is there a problem with this?" I pointed to my leggings and T-shirt.

"No. We gotta go if you don't wanna be late."

"Already am," I joked.

He gave me a quick peck on the lips and held my hand as we left. He stole a glance at me before looking back at the road.

"Are you excited?" He asked.

"I don't think I'll ever be as excited as you. But, yeah. I am excited. We get to see this little one who makes me sick every morning," I said and put my hand on my stomach.

"What do you think we'll have? A boy or a girl?" He asked.

"I want a boy. What about you?" I said.

"I would love to have a girl, but I'll love him or her either way. We're going to raise an awesome kid."

-

"Can you please lift your shirt? This is going to be cold at first," the doctor said after I sat down in the chair.

I lifted my shirt, and she rubbed the wand across my stomach. I flinched at the feeling of the cold gel.

"There's your baby," the doctor said and pointed to a little spot on the screen.

"There's the head. Here. Listen to this," she said and adjusted some buttons.

There was a steady thump. The sound of a heart beating.

"Michael, that's the heartbeat. That's our baby's heartbeat," I said as a tear of happiness fell from my eyes.

"I know, Sammy." He squeezed my hand.

The doctor gave me a paper towel to wipe the gel off my stomach, and I pulled my shirt back down.

"Your next appointment is in a few weeks. How many copies of the ultrasound do you want?" she asked.

"Four," I said.

"Four?" Michael asked.

"One for both of us, Zoe, and your parents," I said.

She printed out the pictures and gave them to us.

"Thank you," I said, and we left.

-

Michael called the guys and told them to come over when we got home. My phone started ringing, and Chase's profile picture popped up.

"Hey, Chase. What's up?" I answered.

"Did you finish editing that article I sent you?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'll email it to you," I told him.

Michael walked into the room and mouthed, 'Who are you talking to?'

'Hold on,' I mouthed back and held up one hand. I probably shouldn't have said what I said next, but I was too excited to show our friends the sonogram.