Chapter 27

Today, Michael told me that he was leaving again.

---

Sam POV

It was just another regular morning. Daniel woke up crying, so I went downstairs to make him a bottle and went back up. I took him out of his crib and sat in the rocking chair while he drank the formula.

Michael walked into the room and stood in front of me. I looked up at him for a second before going back to my son.

"Sammy?"

"Yeah, Michael?" I asked.

"Can we go in our room for a second? I have to talk to you about something," he said.

He was biting his lip and playing with his fingernails. That meant he was nervous. Why would he be nervous?

I followed him back to our room and swayed back and forth while holding Daniel.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Thebandisgoingontouragain," he rushed out.

"What? Michael, talk slower," I said.

"The band is going on tour. We're opening for One Direction again."

"You're leaving?" I asked.

"It's only for a few months. It's a bit longer than last time by maybe only a few weeks," Michael said.

"But that was different. We have a child now. He's not even six months," I said and lightly lifted my arms where Daniel was.

"Sammy, I don't want to leave you, but this is my chance. I have to take it," he said.

I sighed and sat down on the bed. A tear slid down my face. Daniel stared up at me while drinking from his bottle.

"Please don't cry. I'll try and make it up to you," Michael said, kneeling in front of me.

"I'm just scared. I mean, you guys are going to get bigger and go on more tours. I don't want to lose you, especially when we have Daniel. I can't do this on my own," I said.

"I would never leave you. Nothing could keep us from being a family, not even this band. You're the most important thing in my life besides them. We're not going to be like your parents," he said.

"Promise?" I asked, looking down at him.

"Promise."

"What am I going to do in this big ass house? It's only going to be two of us until you come back," I said.

"Invite Zoe over. Make some new friends."

"After that shit, Chase pulled? Not gonna happen. And Zoe has her own life. She's not going to rush over every time I want to see her. I know my sister," I said and sighed again. "You know what, why don't you take Daniel for the day?"

"Sam, come on. Don't do this," he said.

Daniel started to cry as I put him in Michael's arms.

"I just need to think," I said, putting on my jacket.

"Sammy-"

"Let him spend some time with his uncles. They haven't seen much lately," I said and kissed him. "I'll be back before midnight."

-

I drove around for hours until I came across a park. I got out of the car and sat down against a tree. I watched all the parents that were in their late twenties-early thirties play with their kids.

Part of me wished I could be like them, not having to worry about my relationship and my son before I was even twenty, but I couldn't turn back time and fix my mistakes.

I began to cry again. I covered my face with my sleeves as I sobbed.

I didn't regret having Daniel, but I couldn't help imagining what my life would be like if I never had him.

I would probably still be living with my mom. My dad would hardly ever home. I would still hate Zoe. I would still go to school until I graduated. And I wouldn't be affected this much by Michael leaving.

People started giving me weird looks, so I got up and went back to my car. I drove to the cliff Michael took me to when I snuck out to see him so long ago.

I sat on the hood of my car, looking out at the city. All the lights from buildings shined beautifully in the dark. I zoned out for a little until my phone vibrated. Michael tweeted something.

@Michael5SOS: Going on tour soon and seeing all of u lovely people. Gonna miss Sammy and this little guy

He tweeted a picture of Daniel. I shut off my phone, not wanting to feel guilty for being away all day. I wrapped the blanket around me tighter.

I stayed there for a few more hours before deciding to go home.

-

Michael was sitting on the couch when I got back. The TV cast a dull glow on his face. The look on his face scared me. It was a mix of intense worry and sadness. He looked tired. I was tired, too.

He jumped up as soon as I shut the door. He pulled me into his arms and nuzzled his face in my hair.

"I was so worried. I thought you weren't going to come home," he whispered.

I grabbed his hand and interlaced it with mine, not saying a word. I pulled him upstairs and changed into sweatpants before lying down under the covers.

He slipped down into his boxers and lay down next to me. I traced my finger along his jawline while staring into his green eyes.

"I'm sorry for leaving you with Daniel all day. I shouldn't have done that," I said.

"It's okay. The guys had fun. Luke and Calum adore him. I've never seen them so happy around kids," he said, and I laughed lightly.

"When do you leave?" I asked, changing the subject.

"A few weeks."

"That's so soon. Can't they wait a little longer?" I asked.

"I asked, but they said no. And even if I could bring you with me, Daniel's too young. I don't want him to be around that," he said.

"You're a great father. You know that, right?" I asked.

"I like to think I am."

"Good. We should probably try and sleep. Daniel will be up soon, and my day was exhausting," I said.

"Your day was exhausting?" He said in a sassy tone.

"I'm just joking. I love you," I said.

"Love you too, Sammy," he said.

He put his hand on my back and pulled me closer to him. He kissed my forehead and I felt his stubble scratch my skin. I rested my head on his chest.

Warmth radiated from his body, making me forget all about today. I felt like everything was going to be okay. I felt at home.