Chapter 9

Today was a wreck, kind of like my mom.

---

Sam POV

I went downstairs and grabbed a granola bar the next morning for breakfast. I sat down next to Dad as he drank his coffee.

"Morning," I said.

"Morning, Sam. How'd you sleep?" He asked.

"Fine."

"Where are you going after school today?" Mum asked me, sitting on the opposite side of the table as us.

"I don't know. Maybe Michael's or Ashton's," I said and she turned to my dad.

"See? What did I tell you?" She said.

"What?" I said.

"Just go to school, Sammy. We'll talk later," Dad said.

"No. We'll talk about this now-"

"No, we won't! Sam, go to school!" Dad yelled.

And with that, I was out the door.

-

I had gone to Ashton's house after school. The guys had a band rehearsal in the basement while I did my maths homework in the kitchen.

I was becoming irritated because I was having a hard time trying to figure out the answer to a problem. I tapped my pencil against the paper and scanned my notes, trying to find something useful.

I sighed in frustration and felt a pair of arms wrap around me. I leaned my head back on the chair.

"What's wrong?" Michael asked.

"I fucking hate school. I want to drop out," I told him.

"Don't. You're too smart for that," he said.

"But it's so much work and I don't even understand any of this and-" I choked up.

I was just so frustrated with everything today. My parents, school, homework. I felt like I couldn't even breathe.

I just wanted one day. One day where I didn't have to worry about anything. Just one day where I could take a break from everything and everyone in my life

"Don't worry about it," he said.

He placed light kisses on my neck and my cheek. I smiled and felt a weight lifted off my shoulders. I rubbed the anchor tattoo on his thumb, finding comfort in it.

"Come on. Let's go annoy the guys," he said.

He grabbed my hand and we went into the living room. We sat together on the love seat. He kissed me for a few seconds and pulled away slowly. He did that a few more times and I lightly kissed his nose. He scrunched his face and I giggled. He kissed me again.

"If you don't stop right now, I'm going to kick you out. I'm so serious," Ashton said.

"Don't stop doing what you're doing," I whispered and kissed him again.

"Seriously, stop. It makes me sick watching you," Ashton voiced.

"You're just jealous that you don't have a girlfriend," Michael laughed.

"Why would I when I have Luke?" Ashton said and put his arm around the blonde haired boy.

"Oh my god. Lashton for life!" I exclaimed.

"Gross. Just because I tried to say Michael had a boyfriend, doesn't mean you can do the same to me," Ashton said.

"But I thought you loved me," Luke fake pouted.

"I do, but not in front of the others," Ashton whispered.

We all laughed, and I snuggled up to Michael's side. Everyone quieted down and watched TV.

Someone knocked on the door and Ashton went to see who it was. He looked through the peephole and looked back at me.

"It's your mom," he said quietly.

"Shit," I said and hid behind the couch. I heard Ashton open the door.

"Mrs. Evans, what are you doing here?" Ashton asked.

"I'm here for my daughter," she snapped.

"I'm sorry, but she's not here," Ashton said.

"If she doesn't come out from wherever she's hiding, I'm calling the police and telling them you kidnapped her."

"That won't be necessary," I said and jumped out from behind the couch.

"Then get your ass in the car," she said and dragged me out of the house.

-

I was sitting on the couch with my mom in front of me. Her face was red with anger as she paced The living room floor. My dad sat on the recliner, staring at the ceiling as if it had the answers to all his problems written on it.

"What was so important that you had to drag me home and embarrass me?" I asked.

"Don't speak to me that way. I'm sick of your attitude," she said.

"I don't even give you attitude! Whenever I'm home, you ignore me or yell at me for no reason. Wy do you think I'm always at my friends?" I said.

"That's the problem. You're hardly ever home. You're spending too much time with Michael and them. I hardly ever see you during the day because you're always at one of your friends houses. You need to be with us. We're your family. Michael's a bad influence. Look at you. You dyed your hair and you didn't even run it by us," she said.

"First of all, I spend time with them because they're my friends and Michael is my boyfriend. They're basically family. And do you really think I want to be home when you're like this? Sometimes it seems like they care about me more than you do," I said.

"Boyfriend?" Dad asked when I finished.

"Yeah, boyfriend. There is no problem with me dying my hair. I'm almost eighteen. Just because you don't want me to do something, doesn't mean I won't do it," I said.

"You will follow our rules while you live under this roof. I don't care how old you are. I'm sick and tired of having to ask you where you're going all the time because you won't tell me. I worry about you sometimes," she said.

"Well, don't. It makes things a lot easier," I said.

"Samantha, you will not speak to your mother like that. From now on, you will come right home after school," Dad said.

"That's not fair! It was never a problem before!" I yelled.

"Don't try to tell me what's fair and what's not! It wouldn't be a problem if you would tell us where you were. That way, your mother and I wouldn't be fighting. If you don't follow the rules-"

"Let me guess. I'm grounded for life," I said and rolled my eyes.

"Samantha Grace Evans, I have had it with you! Why can't you be more like your sister? She listens to what we say!" My mom yelled.

I abruptly stood up off the couch, channeling all my anger into my next words.

"Never compare me to Zoe! I'm glad I'm nothing like her. If I was, I'd probably want to jump in front of a bus!" I yelled.

"That's it! You're grounded. Go to your room. We'll discuss your punishment later," Dad said.

"I wish you never came home," I said and ran out of the house for the second time today.