Chapter 34

Sam POV

I stood in front of the door to my parent's house. Zoe's car was in the driveway.

I lightly squeezed Daniel's hand and knocked on the door. I waited for a few seconds and it opened to reveal my mother. Her nose was red and her eyes were puffy like she'd been crying. Tears instantly came to my eyes.

She ushered Daniel inside and turned back to me.

"Oh, Sammy."

She threw her arms around me as the tears began to fall. I sobbed into her shoulder while she rubbed my back and whispered soothing words in my ear.

She pulled me inside and led me to the living room where Dad, Zoe, and Chase sat. Daniel was on Chase's lap.

"No! Get away from my son!" I yelled, my voice sounded raw.

"Samantha, I-"

"No! Don't touch him. Stay away from him," I said and snatched him away from Chase.

"Sammy," Zoe said.

I could hear it in her voice that she'd been crying. I handed Daniel to my father and embraced my sister, continuing to sob. No one said anything as I cried onto her shoulder and she cried on mine. It was a rare moment for everyone in the room. I'd never seen my mother or Zoe cry. Ever.

"Gwampa, where is Daddy?" Daniel asked, causing me to cry harder.

My shoulders shook and I felt weak. I shouldn't be crying in front of my son. I should be strong. I should be strong for him. Why couldn't I?

"He's, uh- he's sleeping," Dad said.

"Then wake him up," Daniel said.

"That's not how it works, Danny. He's asleep for the rest of his life, but he'll be watching over you. Protecting you," Dad said.

"I miss him," Daniel whined.

"We all do."

My stomach churned and I dashed to the bathroom. I made it to the toilet just in time to spew out everything I had eaten before leaving that morning.

Loud footsteps thundered up the stairs. Everyone crowded in front of the doorway. Mum walked in and shut the door behind her. She held my hair back and rubbed my back as I threw up.

I sat back and used the wall to support myself when I was done. I brought my knees to my chest and put my head down.

"Sweetheart-"

"I'm pregnant," I whispered.

"What?" Mum asked.

"I'm pregnant! I'm pregnant and I never told Michael. He never knew he was going to have another kid," I said.

"Oh, Sammy," Mum said and stroked my hair.

"I'm so sorry," she said.

"I'm going to take Daniel home now. I need to talk to the guys," I said.

I rinsed my mouth out and splashed water on my face. I walked out and saw everyone backed up against the wall. They gave me sympathetic looks.

I took Daniel and began to walk down the stair.

"Sam, wait up," Chase said. I kept walking

"Samantha, please."

"What do you want, Chase?" I asked when I got to the bottom.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss. I know you loved him a lot," he said.

"I don't want your pity," I snapped and left.