Chapter 29

One and a half years later

Sam POV

"Mummy!" Daniel yelled from his room down the hall.

My motherly instincts kicked in, and I ran to him as if my life depended on it. I stopped to quickly catch my breath when I got to his room.

He was standing up in his crib, bouncing on the balls of his feet. He was smiling and started giggling. I sighed in relief that he was okay.

"Daniel, don't scare me like that," I said.

"I sowy. Up," he said and lifted his arms.

I lifted him out of his crib and set him down on the floor. He held onto my fingers to balance himself before letting go.

A door shut downstairs, and he looked up at me with bright eyes.

"Daddy home!" He said excitedly.

"Yeah! Daddy's home. Let's go see him," I said.

Daniel followed me out of the room. He held the railing on the stairs with one hand while I held his other one.

"Daddy!" He yelled and ran to Michael, who scooped him up in his arms.

"Hey, buddy," Michael said and ruffled up his blonde hair.

"Hey, babe. How's he been today?" Michael asked and kissed me.

"Fine. He just woke up from his nap. Nearly scared me half to death," I said and tickled under his neck.

He giggled and hid his face in Michael's shoulder.

"He's gonna be such a rebel like his father," Michael smiled.

"I wouldn't say rebel," I mumbled.

"Oh, hush. You're such a pain in the ass," Michael said and playfully pushed my shoulder.

"Ass?" Daniel said.

Michael went wide-eyed. I put my hands on my hips and glared at him.

"No, Daniel. Don't say that, okay? You'll get a timeout if you do," Michael said sternly.

"No timeout," Daniel said and shook his head.

"Good boy. Go play with Uncle Luke. He's in the kitchen. I have to talk to mummy," Michael said

I watched him go until I couldn't see him anymore. I felt a little nervous. I hardly ever let him out of my sight. My worries went away when I heard Luke say something about playing FIFA.

"He's going to corrupt our child," I said.

"Trust me, I'll do that myself," Michael laughed.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" I asked. His face fell.

"Let's go somewhere more private."

He grabbed my hand and led me to the music room. I sat down on a chair with him across from me. He grabbed his acoustic guitar and started strumming, avoiding my gaze.

"Is that a new song?" I asked.

"Yeah. I think we might put it on the next album," he said.

"What's it called?" I asked.

"I don't know yet," he said and kept playing.

I called out his name a few times, but he didn't even budge. After a few minutes, I got up and gently pulled the instrument out of his arms. He let his hands fall, still staring at the floor.

"Michael, stop stalling and tell me what's going on," I said.

"I just wanted to show you the song," he mumbled.