Chapter 13

Today, I made the first step in my plan to forget about my relationship with Michael.

---

Sam POV

"Sam, wake up. You have to go home and get ready for school," Calum said, shaking my shoulder.

I slowly sat up and stretched. I looked around the room and remembered why I was in here. It was because of the bastard I used to call my best friend.

"Who's picking me up?" I asked.

"Ashton. He'll be here in five minutes."

"Okay."

-

I stepped through the threshold of my house and heard the familiar sound of yelling once again. It wasn't even eight o'clock in the morning. They just wouldn't stop.

I went to go to my room when Zoe appeared at the doorway to the kitchen. I just glared and walked up the stairs.

"Sam, wait. I need to talk to you about what happened yesterday," she said when I reached my room.

"I don't want to talk about yesterday, least of all with you. According to me, yesterday never happened, along with the last month of my life. So if you don't mind, leave me alone," I said and slammed the door in her face.

-

When Ashton arrived, I jumped from my spot on the front steps and ran to his car.

"Hey, Sammy. How are you?" He asked and drove down the street.

"I'm fine," I said.

"So, you're not still mad about-"

"I don't want to talk about it, okay?" I said, interrupting him.

"I'm sorry. Are you coming over later?" Ashton asked.

"No. I have other plans. And even if I was, he'd be there."

"No, he's not. Right now we all want to bash his head into a wall," Ashton said.

"Ash, I don't want this to get in the way of your friendship with him. I'm not going to let our breakup get in the way of the band. I know how much it means to you," I said.

"Okay. As long as you're happy."

-

Luke walked with me on my way to gym. People had been smirking and laughing all day when I walked by. They must've heard about me and Michael; no doubt Zoe said something and it spread like wildfire.

"That's the girl who used to date Michael. Zoe's sister," someone said.

"He finally broke up with her? Took long enough," someone replied.

"I know. He should've broken up with her a long time ago. She was probably up all night crying. Look at what she's wearing."

I looked down at my sweatpants and hoodie and felt a flare of anger. I whipped around to stare at the person.

"Don't talk about things you know nothing about. I was not up all night because, quite frankly, I don't give two fucks about that douchebag. And I couldn't care even less about my outfit, so keep your nose out of my business, or I will fuck you up," I said.

I turned around and quickly walked to the locker room with Luke trailing behind. He stopped me before I could enter.

"Hey, are you sure you're okay?" He asked.

"Yes. I'm perfectly fine," I said.

"Then what was that in the hallway?"

"I've never let people talk shit about me, and I'm not going to start now."

With that, I walked into the locker room and changed before joining the rest of the class in the gym. We were playing dodgeball. At the sound of the whistle, I ran forward and grabbed the nearest ball. I got five people out within the first fifteen seconds.

Soon, it was just me and some kid in my year. I waited for the right moment before whipping the ball across the gym. It hit him square in the chest, knocking the wind out of him. He fell to the floor, and the whole class went silent.

"Yes! Yes! I win!" I yelled, jumping up and down.

Ashton ran over, picked me up, and sat me down on the bleachers. Luke showed up a second later. He held onto my wrists as I tried to stand back up.

"Sam, you need to calm down," Luke said.

"No. I need to get back in the game. Let me go," I protested.

"I think you should sit out for the rest of today," Ashton said.

"What? Why?" I asked in disbelief.

"You don't seem very stable. You're obviously upset and you're turning to anger for a solution. Just relax for today," Ashton said.

"Yeah, you're right. But how are you going to convince the coach? After what I just did, I don't know if he'll let me," I said.

"How about I tell him you have really bad cramps? Would that work?" Luke asked.

"I guess so. Go for it."

-

I walked through the front door of my house later with a smile on my face. I ran my hands through my hair. I dyed it back to blond and cut it to just below my shoulders.

Michael and Zoe were sitting together on the couch. I didn't even glance their way and headed to my room.

"Her hair," Michael mumbled. "She dyed it back."

When things change, so do people, I thought.

I dyed my hair to rid myself of the memory of us dying it together. The first part in my plan to forget Michael was accomplished.