Chapter 28

Authors Note
The next chapter is going to have a long time skip. This chapter is just going to be moments from now until then. It'll be mostly in Sam's POV.

I had just got back from dropping off the guys at the airport. Daniel was sleeping in his carrier.

I brought down his playpen to the living room and gently placed him in it. I then sat on the couch, watching movies for the rest of day.

-

It'd been a week since Michael left, and Daniel was not taking it easy on me. He wouldn't fall asleep and was screaming his lungs out.

I tried everything I could think of. I gave him milk, changed his diaper, gave him his pacifier. Nothing nothing worked. Not even playing a video of Michael singing could calm him down.

I checked and calculated what time it would be in London. Michael would be performing right now. He wouldn't pick up his phone.

I grabbed one of his flannels and attempted to wrap a screaming Daniel in it. After a few minutes, he quiets down and fell asleep.

I signed in relief and went back to bed to try and get some sleep.

-

I was waiting at the airport with Karen and Daniel. Michael's plane had just landed. I searched the room until I saw him. He dyed his hair again, making him stand out among the crowd. I never imagined him with pink hair.

Karen took Daniel in her arms, and I ran to Michael.

"I missed you so much," he said.

"I missed you, too. And I'm not the only one," I said.

"What do you mean?"

"Daniel."

"Oh. Where is he?" Michael asked.

I laced my hand with his and walked over to his mum. Daniel's eyes perked up when he saw Michael and put his arms up.

"He wants you to hold him," I said.

"Oh, right," Michael said and took Daniel.

"Hey, buddy. I missed you while I was gone. Did you miss me? Yeah?" Michael said.

Michael tickled him and he giggled a little baby giggle. My heart melted. Michael passed Daniel to me and threw his arm around my shoulder. His other arm went around his mum.

"Let's go home."

-

It was Daniel's first Christmas and Michael went all out. He decorated the whole house, planned a Christmas Eve party, sang Christmas carols. He even bought me, Daniel, and him matching footie pajamas.

This was also the one day a year the guys actually woke up early without being forced. I stayed in bed until almost ten, still tired from the party the night before.

"Finally. We've been waiting forever," Luke complained when I stumbled down the stairs.

"How are you guys not tired? You were up until two this morning," I said and sat down next to Michael.

"It's Christmas," Ashton said, using the holiday as excuse.

"True. Let's open some gifts."

-

"Hey, babe? Can you help me with something?" Michael asked.

I walked into the music room and sat in a chair with a six month old Daniel in my life.

"What do you need?" I asked.

"Just listen to this. What do you think?"

He hit a few buttons on his laptop. A guitar started playing with drums in the background.

"That sounds amazing," I said.

"You think the guys will like it?" He asked.

"Yeah. You always right great music," I said.

"Music."

Michael and I looked at each other in less than a second. Our gaze shifted to Daniel.

"What did you say, buddy?" Michael said.

"Mu-mu," he said, trying out the word. "Music."

"That's right! Music," Michael exclaimed.

"Your first word!" I said and beamed down at him.

Michael picked him up and held him above his head. He paraded around the room before going to the living room.

"Guys, Daniel said his first word," Michael said.

"What was it?" Luke asked.

"Music."

"Really? Not even mama, or something like that?" Calum said.

I smacked him and said, "Don't ruin the moment."

-

It was Daniel's first birthday, and he was about to take his first steps. He had been trying to learn for a few months, but he never quite got there.

I sat on one side of the living room with Michael one the other.

"Go on, Daniel. Walk to Daddy," I said and motioned towards Michael.

"Dada," Daniel said and pointed.

"Yeah. Walk to him," I said.

Daniel stood up and stayed that way for a second to steady himself. He inched forward a bit and walked all the way to Michael before falling into his lap.

"You did it!" Michael said. He clapped his hands and Daniel copied him.

"Great job!" I said and picked him up.

"I'm so proud," Michael said.

"Me too."

Later that night, Michael and I were lying down in bed. We could actually sleep all night now that Daniel didn't need to be fed every few hours.

"I can't believe he's already one. It seems like just yesterday we brought him home from the hospital," Michael said.

"I know. It doesn't feel like it's been a year," I said.

"He's growing up so fast."

"Yeah, but we still got a long way to go."