Chapter 3

Michael's POV

Sam called me while she was at the school and asked for me to pick her up. She sounded like she had been crying. I immediately got up and drove to get her.

I quickly fixed my bedhead before getting out of my car and walking into the school. Sam looked up when she saw me and ran into my arms. She buried her head in my neck, sobbing into my shoulder.

"Hey, calm down. Come on. Let's go to my house," I said.

She pulled away and sniffled. She wiped a few tears away from her eyes.

"Okay."

-

The two of us lied down on my bed to watch Disney movies when we got back to my house. We did this whenever one of us was upset and needed a cuddle. She definitely needed one right now.

"I'm sorry for not being there for you today. You know I would've if I could," I said.

"It's okay. We all have our bad days," she said.

"Will your mom be mad that I picked you up? What about detention?"

"Right about now, I don't care what she thinks. She'll get over it. And detention? What're they going to do? Give me more?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Oh well," she said and shrugged her shoulders.

I laughed and continued to watch the second Lion King movie. It was her favorite, but I personally like the first one better.

I pulled my arm out from under her and stood up. She whined and grabbed your arm.

"I'm going to get some popcorn and snacks," I said and went to the kitchen.

I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave. I grabbed some soda and snacks from the fridge and the cabinets. After the popcorn was done, I took everything and started to walk upstairs.

"Where are you going with all of that?" My mum asked, suddenly behind me.

"Upstairs. Sam's here," I said.

"Why? Shouldn't she be at school?"

"She had a rough day and asked me to pick her up."

My mum nodded her head, not questioning my answer. She knew there was an unspoken thing between Sam and I that only the two of us could understand.

"Okay. I have to go run a few errands. Tell her I said hi," she said.

I nearly dropped everything when I turned back around but caught it at the last second. I headed back to my room and found Sam asleep under the comforter.

I put the snacks on my desk and slid in next to her. I wrapped my arms around her waist and nuzzled my head in the crook of her neck.

"Night, Sammy."

Sam's POV

I was woken up by Michael shaking my shoulders.

"Sammy, wake up," he said.

I slowly sat up and stretched before going back down. I rubbed my eyes and turned to look at Michael.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Six. Your mom called and asked me to walk you home."

I groaned and threw off the blanket, using Michael's arms to pull me up. He grabbed my bag, and I followed him downstairs.

"Leaving so soon? I thought you were staying the night," his mum said.

"I wish I could, but my mum wants me to come home. Maybe tomorrow," I told her.

"Actually, we're going to Ashton's to practice. You can stay with us at his place," Michael said.

"Okay."

"Just remember that you're welcome anytime," his mum said and smiled.

I smiled back and gave her a short hug, wishing my mum could be more like her. I pulled away and left with Michael. He laced my hand with his and swung it back and forth as we walked. I smiled at the gesture.

It was only about a five minute walk from Michael's house to mine, so we got there in no time. I stopped in front of the door and turned to face him.

"Thank you for today. I really needed it," I said.

"That's what friends are for," he replied.

I gave him one more hug before going inside. My mom was sitting on the couch reading a book. She closed it when I walked in and dropped my bag on the floor.

"Sit," she said, and I took a seat in the recliner. "I'm sorry about earlier. I was just stressing out about work, and I had a conversation with your father-"

"What were you two talking about?" I asked.

"It was nothing. We were just-"

"What were you talking about?" I said more sternly.

"We were talking about our relationship and-"

"You're not getting a divorce," I said, cutting her off.

"You know, it's very rude when you keep interrupting someone," she scolded.

"I don't care. You're not getting a divorce."

"I never said we were. Just talk to your father since you're not going to listen to me," she sighed.

I grabbed my bag and headed upstairs. I called my dad and walked around my room while I waited for him to pick up, not wanting to sit down.

"Hey, Sammy," he said after he answered.

"Hi, Dad. I just wanted to talk to you about something-" I started to say, but he interrupted me.

"Oh, sorry, sweetheart. I have to go. I'm getting another call from work."

"But Mum told me to talk to you. She said you guys were fighting earlier."

"It's nothing, sweetheart. I do need to take this call, but I will call you back tomorrow, okay?"

"Oh, okay. I guess I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Bye Sam. I love you," he said.

"Love you, too."

I ended the call and tossed my phone on my bed. I hung up my jacket and got into bed without changing out of my clothes, thoughts of my dad's conversation with my mum long gone. I just wanted this day to be over.