Chapter 5---Goodbye, Rags and Hello, Dresses!

Start from the beginning

"It's okay, Cass. You can order anything."

I scanned through the panel menu. I can't eat that heavy, and that I haven't eaten anything from here for years!...but they all sound really, really delicious.

"Just a vanilla milkshake and fries." I smiled softly at James. (A/N: fudge me and my Fifty Shades brain...*sighs*)

He returned the smile and gave out our orders at that...machine thing where you just say your order...that wasn't there before, and I find it kinda funny. What if an old person uses the Drive Thru, but realizes he's talking to a trash bin. Haha. Oh, well. Can't blame technology these days.

A vanilla milkshake and fries were the only thing I remember ordering here. Memories. Happy memories. It was my birthday. My ninth to be exact. Dad was still a police officer, and our family was one simple, happy family. There was this toy they have here at McDonald's that I wanted so much. Mom said that we'll go to McDonald's on my birthday, and I looked forward to it.

My birthday came, and dad asked for a leave that day because our family was rarely complete, and he wanted to take my birthday as an opportunity. We went to McDonald's. Mom and dad ordered while Danny and I were at the play area. Mom called us when our food was there. Danny and I would have milkshakes and a mountain of fries, while our parents would have their burgers. Right after the meal, before eating our sundaes, they would sing the Happy Birthday song, and mom would show me all the toys she bought along with the meal.

Why wouldn't things go back the way they were before?

"Here are your fries, Cass." James handed me a brown paper bag. Brown paper bags remind me of asthma. Don't know why, but yes, they remind me of asthma. You know...when those people have their attacks and they have to breathe deeply in brown paper bags...don't know why.

I clutched on the folded part and placed it on my lap, as James pulls down the cup holders. Seems that he also ordered the same thing. They gave James the milk shakes and he placed them on the cup holders. We started on our way to his house again.

"I almost bought you a burger." he chuckled. "But I don't wanna ruin your appetite for later."

"Later?" I asked with a mouth full of fries.

"Dinner." he smiled.

"Oh..."

"Do you have a lot of homework to do?" James asked out of the blue.

"Just one. My ever-demanding English teacher made us do a letter." I smirked looking outside my window.

"I heard he's hot." I can hear his smirk.

"You and your massive ego..." I scolded.

He laughs and then shakes his head. "Did I mention my name? I know I didn't."

He clicked his tongue and shook his head.

"What?" I laughed.

"I should've given you detention after all that you said to me." he complained like a little girl.

"James, don't tell me that you have a huge head already."

"You deserve a detention session with your favorite teacher." he gave me his big-headed smirk. Oh, great. Even his smirk has a big head.

"Oh please, James." I exhaled.

"Hahaha!" he starts laughing like a crazy person and he even used the car horn. Won't we get in trouble for this?

The rest of the ride was utter silence. I was eating my snack while James was busy driving on the road. This is the first time seeing him so relaxed. Why was he so relaxed?