CHAPTER 4

I checked my e-mail first thing in the morning on Monday to see whether or not Kelly responded. I didn't get any new e-mails. Hopefully, she will be at school today, I thought. I put on the outfit I planned a few days ago-today I was going to be a changed person. I was part of The Pretty People clan now. I felt super confident. My hair's naturally curly, I decided to use my neglected hair straightener today. I tried something different with my make up. I pulled out the huge make up kit that Kelly got for me last Christmas. I did my normal mascara-and-eyeliner look, but I put on some glittery silver eyeshadow with a shimmery pearl pink crease. I also dusted on some baby pink blush and applied some clear lip gloss on. After that, I grabbed a granola bar and a juice box. Then, I headed out the door. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I was really excited for school to start.

     On my way to my locker, 8 people said "hi" to me, (Yes... I was counting.) including Sadie, Tiffany, and Melanie. Melanie posted on facebook the day before that I was The Pretty People's newest member, so basically everyone knew. Before heading to homeroom, I spritzed on some body mist.  I noticed some people staring at me; mostly boys. It was different, but I wasn't complaining. When I took my seat next to Kelly in homeroom, 3 more people said "hi" to me. The problem was, Kelly wasn't here. She's ususally in homeroom before me. Kelly's a ball of sunshine-even in the earliest part of the day. Hopefully, she'll reply to my e-mail tonight or something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Since Kelly wasn't here, I sat with The Pretty People again. My lunch was the usual; a peanut butter and fluff sandwhich with some snacks on the side and bottled water. Peanut butter and fluff has been my lunch sandwhich since elementry school. Everyone else sitting at our lunch table actually started talking to me-they were Melanie's friends, too, but they weren't part of The Pretty People. "Hey, is Kelly here today?" Tiffany asked. "Nope." "I see. You two seem to be really good friends." she said. "And don't worry if you wanna sit with her sometimes; we understand and we won't pull you away from your old friends." Tiffany smiled. "Okay; Thanks." I smiled back. I was still getting used to the fact of being a Pretty People member, but they were really nice. So why was I always so nervous? Kelly usually wasn't absent. Why was she absent today? The last time she was sick and had to skip school was in 6th grade. I just hope she's okay. I really needed to start spending more time with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     After school, I opened up my laptop. I was still logged into my e-mail. I refreshed my inbox, and up came 1 new message. It was from Kelly. Good. She replied. I read her e-mail 3 times before replying. It said:

hi rachel! its okay that you didnt reply bc i wouldnt have gone to the mall anyways. It's connected to why i wasnt in school today.

on sunday, my grandpa died. lung cancer. quitting was hard for him and it was sad that he died cuz i didnt even get to say bye to him. :'(  his funeral is in 2 days so i wont be in school until thursday. anyways, yes i can go to the mall on sunday. no, im not mad. and congrats on being part of the pretty people now, just dont forget about me! :)

~kelly

In case if you were wondering, Kelly's grandpa's only 62. He wasn't that old. I felt so sorry for her. I replied back. When I went back to my inbox, I had a new message from Sadie. It was sent to me, Melanie, and Tiffany.

hi gurlies! i really need to do some fall clothes shopping. wanna come with? i dont have time on sunday but on saterday i can go. we can meet at my house at 11:00 and when we get there, we can have lunch and my mom will come to give you all a ride back home at around 6 pm. sound good? reply asap!

<3

sadie

Well, I guess I'm going to have two shopping sprees in a row.