CHAPTER 26

I quickly went back to my seat, hoping that Justin would just shoo Jessica away and we'd continue with our dinner, but my feet made the floor creak and Jessica heard it. "Who's here with you?" she asked. "None of your business." Justin said. I heard Jessica's high heels clicking on the floor. "Where do you think your going?!" he asked frantically. Jessica floated into the kitchen and saw me. Then, something really, really weird happened. Her looked softened and she broke into a smile. Not a fake one, but a real one; a real smile I've never seen her with. "Rachel! You know, I was GONNA text you again, but now that you're here, I can actually talk to you! I've been wanting to talk to you! This is perfect!" she exclaimed. I looked at her with a confused look on my face. Was this for real? "You're probably confused," she said, helping herself to a can of orange soda in Justin's fridge. She's probably been here a thousand times. "Let me explain." she sat down next to me, pushed Justin's food over to the side and placed her orange soda there. She drummed her dark red nails on the marble counter. "I wanted to apoligize for sending you those really, really mean texts. I'm still broken hearted over my breakup with Justin, yes, but I've realized that it's not worth complaining about. I just wanted to let you know that I'm really sorry, and I think you and Justin make a really cute couple!" The confused look on my face was still there. "And, listen, to make it up, I would like both you and Justin to come to my Uncle's Italian restaraunt tomorrow afternoon for lunch; I can get us a discount!" Jessica said. "So what do you say?" she asked, her bright blue eyes flickering from me to Justin, then back to me again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     "Okay, is that all?" our waiter asked. "Yes." Jessica said, nodding. She took out her chanel compact and applied a thick layer of MAC lipglass; I had the same color at home. We were sitting at a table in a corner at her Uncle's restaraunt. And her Uncle said that he would give us a discount. "By the way, Rachel," Jessica said, "you look really pretty today." "Thanks." I said, smiling. "You look nice today, too." Jessica really had changed, and I was glad that we were all friends, now. I smoothed out my fuschia lace skirt and looked over at Justin. He seemed like he was happy this whole situation was done and dealed with, too. After coming back home from Justin's house last night, Jessica texted me and we talked for a long time. Turns out, she and Justin had been together for a whole year, and he broke up with her before Spring break. I guess I would've been upset, too, if my ex started going out with another girl before I had a chance to heal my broken heart.

     Our food came, and we all dug in. We made our own pastas. I had bowtie pasta with alfredo sauce, chicken, and sun dried tomatoes. It was really good; I wouldn't expect food to be really good if it were a small restaraunt on the street. The restaraunt was located in between a Walgreens and Dunkin Donuts. "I need to go to the bathroom." I announced. "I'll come with you." Jessica said, and we both walked to the girl's bathroom. When I went to go wash my hands, I took off my charm bracelet. I've been wearing it almost every single day. Jessica kicked her stall door open with her 3 inch heels and washed her hands beside me. "So, is the food good?" she asked, scrubbing her hands in pink soap. "Yeah." I nodded. "I'm glad we came." "I'm glad, too." she smiled. When we were done washing our hands, we went back to our table to finish our food. I took another forkfull of pasta when I noticed my charm bracelet wasn't on my wrist. I must've left it on the sink counter. I went back to the bathroom, opened the door, and walked to the sink. My bracelet wasn't there.