Howl

Luc POV

Bella was a forever beautiful, pale white, ice cold goddess in my arms, waiting to be awakened by her internal beast. She was Shifting, her Wolf scratching desperately at the surface. It was the curse we all were born with, though we treated it as a blessing.

How could something so painful, so torturous, be a blessing?!? How could a man watch his Mate Shift for the very first time, go through hell and back, and then praise the goddess?

It was a foreign notion to me, though I myself had already Shifted; even as I literally ran with the Wolves, still had 3 AM conversations with my own Wolf, I couldn't begin to think of anything good that came of Shifting. Yes, there was the speed and agility, the strength and energy, and growing old with your one true love by your side, but those were superficial; I needed to know that we, as Werewolf Shapeshifters, had a higher purpose than simply to chase our tails and honor the goddess for giving us so much power. If I was going to watch my precious little Mate go through hell and back, I needed to know that there was something beyond any of the usual perks of lycanthropy.

Speaking of the perks of being a super sexy, badass Alfa rogue... My eyes were so attuned to her- hell, my whole body was so attuned to her- that I saw the first bead of sweat on her forehead, saw another ripple of pain that made her button nose scrunch up; not a minute after that, I heard the slight gasp from her lips as the first of her bones cracked; my nose caught the first scent of Wolf that exuded from her, mixing with her human scent of honeysuckle and dark chocolate; I felt the fur beginning to sprout from her pores beneath my fingers, felt her nose grow wet and elongated. She was finally beginning to Shift.

I wished so much that I could say that it was all down hill from there, but I knew better; that first bone that merely cracked was just the beginning... All I could do was hold her tight, speak soothingly, and try not to curse the goddess as my little Mate was broken apart piece by piece in front of me.

~000~

In the next hour, all that had happened was more of her bones had begun to crack; they weren't even breaking, or elongating, or realigning to from her Wolf body, yet. Why was her Wolf drawing it out so long and torturously?!?

Growling, all I could do was hold her as tight as I dared as even more bones cracked; goddess, why are you making it so hard on my precious little Mate?!?

As if in answer to my internal rant, her Wolf finally broke the first bone; I almost wished she hadn't, that my beautiful little Bella had been born human, because even watching her Shift was torture... Apparently, her Wolf had tortured her enough because, not a minute later, the rest of her bones began to slowly break. Now, if they'd hurry up and elongate, we'd be halfway there...

Did I have some imaginary microphone or something that was yelling directly into the goddess' ear or something?!? The first of her bones began to lengthen, even as the last few began to break, and I couldn't begin to say the number of times she cried out, or clutched at me, or that I myself had mentally cursed the goddess.

Why the hell was this such hell on her?!? She'd done nothing wrong, no crime against the goddess that would warrant such a long, torturous Shifting...

Once more, my prayers were answered as the last few bones caught up to the first, already elongated, few and began to lengthen; as the last few finally grew, the first began to realign into the shape of her Wolf. After that, it was pretty much just extremely weird to watch the bones of her once so delectable, squeezable ass lengthen and twine together to form her tail. Still, I couldn't help but think that we were one step closer to her being Shifted. Finally!

Once everything was cracked then broken and finally realigned, even more fur began to cover her skin to replace the shredded- torn in tatters, rags, pieces- crop top and short shorts that she had originally been wearing. Were we already, blessedly, almost there?!?

~000~

In another hour, her face began to take on the appearance of her Wolf; her nose and mouth had basically combined and lengthened into her muzzle as her teeth extended and sharpened basically into fangs. Her ears had grown and stretched out to tapered points as her eyes enlarged and grew rounded, darkening from their usual warm butterscotch to a cold and empty pitch black. Almost there!

Once her Wolf fully awakened within her, her eyes would still be black, but they wouldn't be near so cold or empty; her Wolf's persons,it's would light her eyes up, give them character...

In little time after her face had reshaped, fur covered her from head to- well, to tail. She was beautiful, even as a Wolf; the color of her fur had taken the color of her human hair with splashes of an almost butterscotch color. Goddess she was beautiful!

Staring down at her, I immediately tensed as I felt a presence near us, trying to get into my head; fück! She was way too vulnerable to defend herself, but I was too curious to stay here with her...!

'Relax, Luciano; it is I, Abellia's Wolf.'

A/N: it's shorter than most, I know, but I don't like hurting my characters, nor do I know much about the first Shifting of a Wolf... So, the process may be a little different from whatever els y'all have read, but I tried.....