Chapter 39

Newt's POV

Oh, bloody hell. What are we gonna do now? We're gonna die. We're definitely gonna die. We're dead.

All the feelings I've been trying to prevent, now come to the surface and all the fears I tried to conceal are about to come out. But I can't tell Tommy how scared I am, because he'll never let me go and he'll probably do something crazy.

"Okay. This is not so bad, Tommy," I try to tell him as convincing as possible, "we can do this. After we do this tiny little thing, it'll all be over."

"That's not very convincing, Newt," Thomas replies dryly.

"I know, sorry. I'm scared to death, actually," there, I said it, "but we have to do this. There is no other way."

Thomas says. "I know. But nothing's gonna happen. Nothing's gonna happen. Nothing. Is. Going. To. Happen."

He keeps repeating the same words and I feel like he's more trying to assure that to himself than to me. I decide to hug him to try to calm him down.

"You're right, Tommy. Nothing's gonna happen. We'll be fine. I love you."

"Alright. I'll call the sheriff, and you call Alby. He needs to know," Thomas says to me. I nod and go to fulfill my task immediately. Alby picks up on the third ring and I immediately do my story.

"I'm coming with you," my best friend says when I have told him everything.

"No. Alby. You can't. It's too dangerous."

"Jeez, Newt. You're starting to sound like that pretty boyfriend of yours. I'm coming, whether you like that or not. If those two are related to WICKED, I might discover more about those two years that were wiped out of my system. Above that, in this situation, three is better than two anyways."

I sigh. "Okay. I guess you're right. Come to our house tomorrow at seven. That's when we're going to get those two shanks."

"Good that. I'll see you tomorrow." He hangs up the phone and I turn my attention back towards Tommy, who just finishes his phone call too.

"They are going to be on stand-by tomorrow when we go. They will be there at seven forty-five, which gives us fifteen minutes alone with them to give them the illusion that we surrender and let them have their way - which is not going to happen, because we're stronger and we can handle this."

I nod, cautiously. Then I tell him that Alby is coming with us, which he accepts surprisingly well. He even seems relieved that we will have a third person with us. Let's just hope that Edward and Ethan will accept that just as well.

Tomorrow could be the scariest day of my life, but I know we can do this. We have to.

...

We are in the car on our way to Red Alley, the tiny alley where Ethan and Edward wanted to meet us, and the tension is almost unbearable. Alby sits quietly in the back. I know that he is scared too, but he is also curious, as to what this adventure will bring.

Thomas is stressed out, still. He has been stressed for a long time, and it only gets worse. He's also afraid, although I think he is more afraid of what might happen to me than what might happen to him, which I think is terrible, because that means he doesn't love himself enough to care about his own well being and he still blames himself for all of this, even though it clearly isn't his fault.

When it comes to me, I'm absolutely terrified. I have been scared before, but that kind of anxiety usually appears during the traumatizing experience. Now, that traumatizing experience hasn't even started yet, and I'm already feeling like klunkin' my pants.

Thomas tries to be strong for me, and I know that it's just because he cares a lot for me, but he has to know that he needs to think about himself for once.

"Tommy," I start quietly. He looks up at me and I take that as my cue to continue. "There is one thing you need to promise me." He frowns and I take a deep breath before I continue.

"I want you to know that I love you a lot, and that I couldn't take it if something happened to you. Because you still have so much to give. You are going to school. You are becoming the greatest person to ever exist. You are going to be a great teacher and you are going to take on the world."

Thomas doesn't seem to get where I am going with this, so I explain even more: "You have to promise me that you won't do anything crazy. You can't do something crazy to protect me, and you have to think about yourself. Know that I would do anything to keep you safe, to keep you alive. I don't want anything to happen to you, and I'd do anything in order to keep true to those words. So please, promise me that you won't risk anything for me."

"Newt..." Thomas says astonished. "I can't promise that!" His voice starts to raise. "You can't make me promise that!"

I shout back at him: "You have to, Tommy! YOU HAVE TO PROMISE ME!"

His face tells that he wants to say something, but he changes his mind and says: "I promise."

"Good that."

I really hope he means it. I ment every single word of it. And I will stay true to my promise. I'd die to keep Thomas Greene alive. 

"Uh, guys..." Alby's voice sounds from the back. We turn around to him and he points towards the side.

"I think we're here."

I look in the direction of his hand and see the words 'Red Alley' on a plaque against the wall of a narrow street. I park the car just next to the alley and look at the clock.

Seven twenty-nine. Right on time.

Thomas grabs the handle of the car door, but I stop him and say one last thing: "Don't break your promise."

Then the three of us get out of the car and start to walk into the alley, slowly but steady. Two figures appear in the darkness of the evening that is already settling. When we finally come close enough, I recognize the faces of the men who have haunted my dreams for quite some time. Ethan opens his mouth first.

"You didn't live up to the deal. We said 'Newt and Thomas', not 'Newt, Thomas and Alby'."

Alby growls. "I have no idea who you are, but I'm honestly going to kill you for what you did to me and my friends."

"Oh shut up, idiot. You said quite some other things while you were working with us for the past two years."

Wait. What?

"What do you mean?" Thomas declares my thoughts. 

"Don't be so surprised. You'll hear a lot more," Edward says. "Anyway. We already guessed that he would be accompanying you two, so we brought a third man too."

Oh, no.

In the darkness, a third person appears, and when he is close enough, I see a face I had hoped to never see again for the rest of my life. Not only anxiety, but also anger floods through me, and I'm not the only angry one here. Tommy is angry too, and only one thing comes out of his mouth:

"Boyd."

***

Was that predictable? It probably was oops... but anywayyyyys two more chapters!! *quiet 'ooohs' in the distance*

I hope you liked this chapter and have a wonderful day. Remember you are all beautiful and worth it and I love you lots and I want to hug each one of you xxx