Chapter 9

Thomas's POV

An agonizing pain shoots through my head when I wake up. For a moment I'm confused of where I am, but I soon recall the events of last night. The memory is blurry, but not blurry enough to not know what happened. I'm a bit disappointed that Newt isn't lying next to me. On the night stand next to the bed is a glass of water with a pain killer and a note:

Dear Tommy
I had to go to work. Take the medicine, eat breakfast. Pretend like you're at home. I'll be back at 5. You don't have to stay, but you can if you want to. Anyway, I'll see you later, I guess. We sort of need to talk.
 - Newt

Of course he isn't here. He has his life to attend to. He needs to work to live. I should too, but I can't, and that fucking sucks. I know I should probably go back to Teresa and Brenda, telling them I'm alive, but I really don't feel like doing that. I want to do something for Newt, to thank him for everything he's done for me in those few days I've known him. He really is too good for me. Hell, he bailed me out of jail yesterday! I feel horrible for dragging him in this dark abyss that is my life, but I'm too selfish to let go of him. Even though I hardly know him, I feel like he brings a little bit of light. He pulls me out of the hole I keep falling back into.

I decide to take a quick shower. The shower is always the best place to think. I pretty much think about everything there. Sometimes I think about life and deep shit like that, other times I just think about what I'm going to wear. Now I can try to think of something I can do for Newt. While the hot water flows over my skin, I evaluate the possibilities. I could do something casual and predictable like take him out for dinner or something like that, but I don't want that. I want something special.

I am really starting to like Newt a lot, which is special, because I hardly like anyone. I think people are scared of me, but Newt isn't, and that might be why he is so special. So I want do something he'll never forget. 

I have about six hours to do what I have planned. I get out of the shower and put on some sweatpants and a shirt Newt had put out for me. The first thing I do is check the fridge to see what's in the house. I find out that I still have to go to the store, so I take his spare key from the hanger and walk to the grocery store closest to the apartment. As I'm pushing my cart through the aisle, I hear a familiar voice shout my name: "Yo, Thomas!" I turn around to find Zart, one of my old friends. "Zart! Hey, man, what a surprise to see you here", I say while shaking his hand.

"Yeah, didn't expect to see ya either. You know, we should hang out again sometimes." I reply: "Yeah, that'd be great. Just text me, okay. I gotta go now." I really have to continue my shopping in order to be ready before Newt gets home again. "Okay, bye!" I wave him goodbye and continue the walk through the aisles.

Pasta, chicken, eggs, flour, tomatoes. I pay the food with the little amount of money I have left to give. I should really get a job. During my walk back to Newt's apartment, I can't help but get really excited. Newt's going to love this. And even if he doesn't, I'll love it, which is therefore fun for me. I just hope he won't mind me changing his furniture a bit.

After eating a small lunch, I start in the kitchen. Flour, eggs, sugar and more things are spread out on the table. I'm baking a cake to thank Newt for what he has done for me. A quick check on the clock tells me I have about 3 hours left before he gets back, so I start my work in the living room. I find blankets, pillows, Christmas lights and small candles. With the help of rope and chairs, I manage to hang up the blankets this way that it makes some sort of tent. More blankets and pillows are spread out over the ground, making the floor soft to lie on. 

After the building of the tent, I get back to my cake in the oven, which is now perfectly baked. I let molten chocolate flow over it and with cream, I write in the middle:

Thank you, Newt.

After it's done, I feel kind of proud of what I did. It's a simple, but nice looking cake. Now it's time for the real dinner. I make pasta with chicken and tomatoes. It's an easy dish, but my mom used to make it when I was younger, and it had always been my favorite food. I miss her sometimes, my mom.

I finish everything two minutes before five. At five o'clock, I start to get nervous. Minutes go by, and Newt isn't returning. More time passes, every second seemingly taking longer than the other. It feels like hours pass without Newt coming home. At some point, I start to get nervous. Why isn't he here yet? Maybe something happened to him. Maybe Boyd got him! Oh, I couldn't forgive myself if Boyd got him again. Thousands of scenarios that could happen fly through my head, when I suddenly hear something.

Five thirty. It's been half an hour. It felt like so much longer, but the sound of a lock turning and a door opening snaps me out of my thoughts. "Tommy?" I hear Newt ask. I quickly run towards the hall. He can't see the surprise in the living room yet. That's for later. First: food.

...

Newt's POV

I want to be home as fast as possible. I don't feel safe driving around with a bag with 20 000 dollars in it. After work, I went by the bank to get the money for Boyd, the money that'll save my life. It kind of stings, such a large amount of money gone from my bank account, but as I said to Tommy, I'm willing to pay it if it keeps me alive. 

All day long I have been wondering if Tommy will be in my apartment when I get there. Your question will soon be answered, I think when I put my key in the lock and open the door.

"Tommy?" No answer. I take of my coat when I hear rumbling. Tommy comes right out of the kitchen running in the hall. I smile at him. I am actually very relieved to find him here. 

"Newt", he smiles back at me. "Don't go to the living room!" 

"What the bloody hell are you even talking about?" I ask. He grins at me mischievously, and says: "You'll see. But first, let's go to the kitchen. You must be very hungry after the hard work you've done today." I have to admit, I am quite hungry, so I follow him to the kitchen. Two plates are set out on the table. 

"Wow, nice Tommy", I say. He smiles and takes a casserole. While putting food on my plate he says: "It's pasta with chicken and tomatoes. I hope you like it." I taste the pasta and gasp.

"This is really good", I compliment him. He blushes. "Thanks, Newt." Oh my god, he's so cute when he blushes. "Why are you doing this?" I ask him after a few moments of silence. He looks in my eyes and says: "It's to thank you. I want to thank you for everything you've already done for me in these past few days that I know you. I want you to know that it means a lot to me." 

I look at him, remembering the money. "Oh, right. I got the money from the bank. Tomorrow we have to give it to Boyd." Tommy says: "Oh, right. Thank you for doing that, too. I swear I'll pay you back one day." For the rest of the meal we make small talk about nothing. We eat, we drink, we laugh, and we have a great time, but I'm curious for what is to be found in the living room. At some point, Tommy says: "I think it's time now to take it to the other side of this door." We walk towards the door that leads to the living room. He majestically announces: " I present you, your living room."

He opens the door and I can't help but gasp. This is incredible.

***

It's been 84 years since I updated this and I am soooo sorry!! I hope you still luv me :))) ANYWAYS if you like this story please vote and add it to your library or comment or whatever makes you happy. I hope you have a wonderful day :)