Chapter 38

Newt's POV

"Guys, we received a message. From Ethan and Edward."

Bloody hell.

When I hear the words, my body is flooded with mixed feelings. I'm mostly scared. They said they would be back, and now may be the moment. And I  can't imagine what they would do to us, figuring that last time they paid a visite, it was just the beginning.

At the same time, I'm relieved. It might mean that everything will finally be over. The police will arrest them and Tommy and I can just go back to a simple, good life, without fear and anger and mixed feelings.

When I look over at Thomas, he mostly just looks angry. What did ya expect from Tommy, right.

"Newt, Thomas? Are you guys still there?" the voice of the sheriff asks.

"Yeah, we heard you," Thomas answers. "And?"

"Well," the man on the other side starts, "we received a message earlier, and it doesn't say much. They just said that we have to keep out of this case. That they would handle it with you two."

I sigh. "And how is that supposed to help us?"

"I'm afraid that's all we got. We tried to find the source of the message, but they must have used a protected device, because even our best hackers and technicians couldn't get through it and find the source."

"But what do we do now, then?" Thomas asks impatiently. "Haven't you got a plan?"

Arronsson hesitates, yet still says what's on his mind: "We had a plan, but you might not completely like it..."

"COME ON! JUST BLOODY SAY IT!" I shout, getting more and more annoyed by his hesitating tone.

"We have to what they desire. Well, not completely of course. You have to meet them alone, without us. Of course, we'll be close-by, but they won't come if they know we are there."

"He has point," I whisper to Thomas.

"No. No, no, no. It's too dangerous. I am not bringing you in any danger, Newt."

"Oh, please, Tommy. I've been in danger before. I think I can handle it," I say as sarcastic as I possibly can. It isn't on a Minho-level, but the sarcasm is not hard to notice.

"Shuck it, Newt. I can't let you do that!"

The sheriff butts in: "Uh, I think we don't have much of a choice." Before Thomas can say anything else, I tell the other man that he's probably right. I also ask  what we have to do now.

"I guess, we'll just have to wait until they come in contact with you. We suspect that they will want to meet you somewhere, where there aren't any neighbors who will call the police, like last time." I flinch at the memory of the last time I saw those to evil guys.

"Okay. We will keep you updated." The sheriff then says his goodbye and I Thomas hangs up the phone.

"Oh, fuck, no."

"Come on, Tommy. You really think I can't handle it, do ya? You don't think I have the bloody guts to fend for myself?"

"This is all my fault, Newt. I just don't want you to get hurt."

"Shut your bloody hole, Tommy! You know that this is not your fault! It's all because of WICKED. Ethan and Edward would have never come after you after all these years if it weren't for that buggin' experiment that they just so happened to be participating in. It never was your fault, Tommy. I promise you it wasn't."

"But, Newt... I just can't let anything happen to you. I could never forgive myself if I was the cause of something that happens to you. I couldn't live with myself," Thomas says quietly. I put my hands around his.

"Nothing's gonna happen to me, Tommy. I'll be fine. I'm twenty-five years old, I can handle it, you know. You've been through  lot, I know. But I have been through quite some things too, and I've made it out alive every time. I'll make it out alive now too."

"You promise that?" he asks hesitantly.

I smile at him. "I promise." Then I slowly bring my face towards his, until our lips touch.

I kiss him softly, and it's, maybe impossibly, the softest kiss we ever shared. His lips hardly touch mine, yet the whole experience feels sweet and delicate. A minute passes and I feel like never wanting to pull away. However, it's Tommy who pulls his head back, to bury it in my shoulder only seconds later.

I gently wrap my arms around him and for a long time we stay seated in that exact position. It might be minutes, it might even be hours until we finally pull away. 

"Come on, let's get some sleep. Who knows when those two shanks'll contact us," I tell Tommy. The brown haired boy nods and I take his hand to follow me to the bedroom. When the lights go out, I wrap my arms around him and fade into a long, dreamless sleep.

...

It's been four days. Four days ago, the sheriff said he had a message from the two slintheads who probably want to hurt me and Tommy a lot.

Four days ago, Arronsson told us that they would contact us, but we haven't heard anything yet. I'm feeling more and more anxious. They will probably surprise us or something. They might even just come here and murder us. Who knows?

Thomas has been even more stressed out too. I haven't seen him smile in quite a lot of time, which makes me really sad, because I can see that he's losing hope and I don't want him to lose hope, because even false hope is better than no hope at all.

That man already thinks we have lost the battle, but I feel that the battle hasn't even started yet. A lot worse is to come, but we can't let fear consume us. We have to use our fear as an armor, to protect us and make us stronger.

Getting stronger is the only way for us to man up and finish this sick game that those sick people have been playing.

"Hey, Newt. I'm just going downstairs to check if you got mail."

"Alright, babe," I answer lazily to my boyfriend.

While Thomas is out of the door, I casually flip through the pages of the paper I was reading. Just when I start to really get into this article, I hear my phone, indicating that a text message came in. I grab my phone from the coffee table and open the text notification.

"Oh no."

At that exact moment, Thomas walks into the apartment again. I look him in the eyes and say:

"I think it's time." A wave of fear and anger and shock speeds through his eyes and in three big steps, he is by my side. I show him the message I received from the private number and Thomas reads the words:

Tomorrow. You and Thomas. Red Alley. E&E.

That is all they sent.

And I know, in just two words, Thomas says the words that have been frightening him for so long now: "It's time."

***

Hi :)

Just to let you know, I just finished writing the last chapter and I am actually crying because it's over (sort of, the writing part is over at least) but I am still excited to let you guys see it. However, there are three chapters after this and the last one is actually quite short (only like 700 words or something), but I am (kind of) happy with the result, and I can't wait to let you read it.

I've decided to just update it every two days now (like I did in the begininning), so chapter 39 should be up on Thursday, 40 on Saturday and 41 on Monday, but I might update earlier if I can't wait, which could definitely be the case.

For the rest I am just going to ask my question from earlier again: if I decided to write another story, would you read it? or nah? Just to have an idea eh...

And finally, please tell me what you think. I love your feedback. I love your comments and all that stuff, so... hit me up *wink*

okay that's all folks have a good day or night wherever you are :) x