Chapter 29

Newt's POV

"He's coming?" I hear my mum squealing happily on the phone. I laugh: "Yes Mum. He really wants to come."

"Oh, love. That's just wonderful. We've missed you so much here. You need to come over more often. Especially Ava has missed you a lot. Your little sister has become such a beautiful woman."

"Oh, Mum. I know that. We've seen each other last July, remember. It's not that long ago, you know." 

"Oh, Newtie. I've missed you. I wished it was Thursday already."

I sigh. "Me too, Mum. Me too. But now I've got to go. I'll see you in two days, okay?"

"Yes, Newt. Two days." And then I hang up the phone.

Three days until Christmas, and two days until I reunite with my beloved family. I really did miss them, especially my little sister. I can't believe she's all grown up. And now I can show her to my Tommy.

Thomas has been super excited and it's awfully cute. He's all smiles and giggles. I've never seen him like this before. He's always serious and tough, but now he just seems so happy, apart from the always lingering fear that something terrible is going to happen. He's smiling a lot and that's making me happy.

The boy really can't wait to go to London. He has never been there, so now I'm excited to show him the place where I grew up, the place where my childhood passed. It's beautiful.

Then it suddenly hits me that I haven't heard from that shank in quite a bit of time.

"Neeeeeeeewt!" Alright. There he is.

"What is it?" I shout to the other side of the apartment, where Thomas is probably packing his bag. He comes running in the living room and says panicked: "I don't have a present for your parents yet!"

"What?"

"Yeah, I do need a present, right?"

"Tommy. You really don't need to buy them a present. My mum thinks it's great that you're coming and my dad just wants me to be happy. And you're what makes me happy, so that's a big enough present for him."

Thomas pouts. "But I feel like I need to give them something." I smile.

"It really isn't necessary, Tommy."

I walk with him to the bedroom to help him pack and after I close the zipper of a full suitcase, Thomas decides that we should put up a Christmas tree.

"Why the bloody hell should we do that? We're not even here on Christmas," I argue.

"But we'll be here before, and after, and then we can stay in that Christmas mood!" Eventually I agree to get a tree and before I know it, we stop, with a tree in the trunk of my car, at the house of the Greene sisters.

The girls have been much better. They were let out of the hospital two weeks after the incident and they've been having therapy and such ever since, but they are stronger than ever. If you thought they were badass sisters before, you should rethink, because they're 10 times more badass after what happened to them that day.

They are bloody strong girls, I'm tellin' ya.

"Hey, Brenda. How ya doing?" Thomas asks his cousin when she opens the door for him.

"Oh, I'm fine. What brings the lovebirds here?" 

"We're coming to lend your spare Christmas ornaments. You still got some left, right?" Brenda laughs: "Of cours we do. We always do, right?" Thomas nods and Brenda runs up to get the ornaments. By that time, Teresa walks in the room and a similar greeting and conversation occurs.

"So you're setting up a Christmas tree?" I nod.

"Thomas here convinced me."

Teresa laughs: "It used to be Tom's favorite activity of the holidays. When we were all at our grandparents' house, we set up the tree together and he would always make it look like a rainbow."

"Oh, shut up, T!" Thomas says embarrassed. The blush on his cheeks becomes evident and I laugh. Of course he'd think this is awkward.

"Well, I can't wait for you to make a rainbow out of our tree, Tommy," I laugh, earning a soft elbow kick in my ribs. I see Brenda coming down with a box with what I suspect to be the ornaments and she hands them to me.

"Well, I guess you'll have a lot of work. Good luck," and then she whispers in my ear quietly: "with Thomas." We laugh and I follow my boyfriend out of the door and back into the car. We wave the girls goodbye and drive home.

Excited as he is, Thomas drags the tree up to my apartment and I grab the box with ornaments.

"Before we start," he says, "you have to promise me one think." I motion for him to continue, and he proudly says: "I am going to put the star up at the end." I laugh.

"Are you sure, Tommy? Don't forget that I'm taller than you, huh. I don't think you can even reach the top." But Thomas just shakes his head.

"I don't care. I'm going to finish this shuck tree, whether you want it or not." 

"Okay, whatever you want, babe."

We start decorating the tree. First come the lamps. A trail of small lights is circled around the green branches. Then the balls follow.

Just like Teresa mentioned, Thomas was making a rainbow of it, although I think it's more to create the tree of his memories than to create a pretty Christmas tree.

However, I don't mind it. It's cute and it's what makes my Tommy happy.

The whole time is spent with laughter, Thomas showing me where I have to hang up the balls and other things. I have to hang up all the ornaments at the top, because the tree is very tall and Thomas can't even reach the top.

I turn the lights on and the room is filled with a beautiful glow. I look up at Thomas, his features more beautiful than ever in the dim light of the tree. I can see him eyeing the top of the tree, that famous star in his hand. I grin. Wonder how he's going to do that.

"How about I help ya?" I suggest.

"I still want to put it there," he says.

"You could climb on my back, so you can reach it." He looks at me, little lights reflecting in his eyes. He nods and I help him climb on my back. With a bit of stretching and wriggling, he succeeds to put the star on the top of the tree, but I can feel him losing his balance, causing me to wobble on my own legs too.

I feel him falling, and myself too, and he tries desperately to not haul the tree down with him, but in that process, the both of us fall to the side, Thomas falling on top of me.

"Ow," I say after hitting the ground. My scowl is quickly replaced by a smile when I hear Tommy's laugh. 

"You laying good there, Tommyboy?" I aks the boy on top of me. He nods.

"You?"

"I'm fine." For a moment we just lay there, looking at each other. I take my time to really look at him. The pretty brown eyes that have only ever opened for me. He starts to come closer and then our lips meet.

It reminds me of the first time we kissed, only he wasn't on top of me then. The kiss is soft yet still passionate. I could lay here for hours. Thomas smiles.

"I love you, Newt."

"I know. I love you too, Tommy." And then I kiss him again.

***

This is so cute.

OH MY GOD THANKS FOR GETTING ME TO 1K (over 1K now) THAT IS ABSOLUTELY SHUCKING AWESOME THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

That's literally all I want to say. I hope you have a great day/night wherever you are :) x