Chapter 37

Thomas' POV

I'm so stupid. Really. How the hell can I sit here while Newt is back to that hellish place, with his crazy boss and disgusting secrets.

I can't believe I'm actually sitting in class right now. This professor has been talking non-stop for over an hour, but I can't seem to keep my head in it. I can't help worrying about my blonde man. Who knows what may happen to him.

The only thing that makes me worry less is Louis. I'd never think I'd be so thankful for that guy. It's a good thing that there is someone with Newt who knows what's going on. And Newt really needs a friend now too, one that's not that involved in all this drama.

And in the meantime I'm sitting here. Don't get me wrong, I still want to be a teacher, and I still find all this very interesting, but it is just not the first thing on my mind right now. I don't really give a shit at the moment.

Yet nobody in this room knows or cares about this tiny insignificant detail, so class continues going like it always does, and I accept the fact that there is nothing else I can do.

"Dude, are you alright?" Luke wakes me from my daydream.

"Huh?" I raise my eyebrow at him. "Oh."

"I mean it. You don't look very well today." I sigh.

"I'm not alright, actually. But I'll be fine. Don't worry," I tell my friend. He frowns and I shrug. 

It's really nice of him to care like he does, but I really don't need his pity. He better mind his own business. 

A few months ago, I would have said that because I can be rude like that, which is, I admit, not a very good feature. But now the only reason for me saying that is because Luke is my friend, and I don't want to involve him in things that could bring him in danger.

Just like Jackson. I feel his eyes burning in my back. He's clearly listening to our conversation, and I don't blame him. I might even do the same - if I cared enough. Jackson is my friend now too, something you couldn't have told when we first met. When he was an annoying shuck-face.

"Are you sure you don't want to tell anyone, Thomas?" Jackson asks. I slightly roll my eyes.

"Shouldn't we be listening to that guy in the front?" I answer him, pretending to turn my attention towards the front of the classroom.

I hear the men next to me sigh but follow my lead and I feel relieved. I am not going to tell them anything. Nothing is going to happen to them.

I just need to get through the day. To Newt.

...

Newt's POV

I'm shaking. Literally shaking. I am absolutely terrified to be back in this hellhole. I have always liked to come to work, but the events of yesterday changed that.

I don't want to go through these doors that'll lead me to the place where a whole bunch of my misery started. I don't want to have to face the Ratman, in case he can see through me and knows what Louis and I did.

I don't want to face the consequences that will follow for Louis now that he owns all this knowledge about things he has nothing to do with. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to my friend because of me.

But I have to go through with this. With life. The police will figure it out, and we'll be free. I just have to act natural, don't make myself look suspicious. Don't let anyone know that I know something that should be hidden.

When I walk into the office, everything is the same as yesterday. Of course it is. This is the way it is supposed to be.

Louis is already working, but when I sit down next to him, I see in his eyes that he didn't have enough sleep this night and that he's just as scared to be here.

"Louis. I'm so sorry. I never meant to drag you into this," I whisper silently, so no one can hear me.

"No, no, Newt.  This is not your fault. It's better that I know. And I want to help you with this. I know Thomas is always there for you, but he can never take care of you here. And right now, this is a place where you need someone too, and I am the only person who can do that for you. And for the record, I was the one who oh-so-desperately wanted to come along on your mission. You couldn't have done it without me. And now that I'm in this, I'm going through until the end."

I send him a small smile. "Thanks, Louis."

"Anytime, Newtie," he winks, making me feel slightly better.

In this moment it hits me how much Louis actually means to me. Over the time that I have worked here, Louis has always been very nice to me. But now I realise that he's actually ready to do anything for me, to make me feel better. When I am having a bad day, he does everything in his power to make me laugh, and when I am having a good day, he manages to make it even better. He listens when I talk and he respectfully keeps quiet when I don't want to talk.

Louis is actually my best friend after Minho and Alby.

I get to work and try not to think about all that disgusting klunk that goes around in the basement here.

I just need to get through the day. To Thomas.

...

"Hey, Tommy. I'm home!" I shout, opening the door of the apartment. Thomas is sitting on the couch, but stands up when he sees me.

"Hey, babe. I missed you," he says, wrapping his arms around me.

"I missed you too, Tommy. I missed you too."

"You know I love you, right?"

"I know that, Tommy. I love you too."

We sit down on the couch and I ask how his day went.

"I think you can guess how- oh hold on a second," he starts but his phone starts ringing.

"It's the sherrif." Thomas puts Arronsson on speaker and we listen until he says something.

His words cause me to start shaking again.

"Guys, we received a message. From Ethan and Edward."

***

Oh well. I guess everyone knows what's going to happen now.

This is it folks, I'm just going to say it: the story is almost over. There will probably be like three or four chapters left (maybe less, maybe more, who knows.. I should really work this out better holy shit) but at least I'll be happy with the result.

I hope you guys still like it. The action will probably (hopefully) be back next chapter, so be ready hehe. If you do like it, please vote and comment, cuz those thingies make my day. I love feedback so please tell me what you think :)

Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful day 

:) x

PS this isn't proof read because I'm hella lazy, so sorry if there are spelling errors or stuff like that