Chapter 22

Thomas' POV

"Hey, Thomas!" Luke runs up to me when I arrive on campus. I roll my eyes at him and keep walking. He tries to stop me but I ignore his calls.

"Thomas. Wait. Please." I stop and turn to look at him.

"What a great way to make new friends, huh?" I say in a monotone voice. "It's fun going to a party, not knowing anyone and getting arrested too. Much fun, that party of yours."

Luke raises his hands in surrender: "Look, man. I didn't know. I didn't think the police would come. I'm sorry." He stretches his hand to me. "Let's start over, alright?" I roll my eyes again and without reacting to his gesture, I just mutter an 'alright' to him before turning around and walking to class, Luke and his friend who's name I've already forgotten again right on my heels, because we have to go to the same classroom.

During class, I keep thinking about Newt. Would he still be angry with me? Would he be over it? Maybe he needs some time. I hope he doesn't though, I don't want to have to stay away from him.

I want to take him out on a date. But a date where? Movies are so cliché. I don't have money to take him out for dinner. I don't have money to take him out anywhere. I don't have a car, only he does. I should really get a car. Then I remember something from a very far past.

That's it, Thomas.

I quickly send a text to my boyfriend:

Tonight I'm taking you on a date

I wait for his answer, but for once it takes him a while to answer, because he is at work and he has to do his job with a hundred percent concentration. Who knows what he's doing right now. I start to listen to the teacher again who is explaining something I've already learnt during my time in college.

After a while, I check my phone again and Newt answered my text.

Okay. Are you coming to my apartment after school?

He wants me in his home. That's a good sign. 

Yeah, that's cool. I'll meet you there.

I tuck my phone away and concentrate on class. I'm excited for this date. Newt is going to love this.

...

"So, Tommy. Where are ya taking me?" Newt asks for the thirteenth time since we had dinner together. I put on my jacket and tell him for the thirteenth time that he'll see when we get there.

I take his hand and pull him outside to my motorcycle.

"After you, Mr. Isaacs." He climbs on the vehicle and I slide in in front of him. 

"Off we go." 

I drive through the city, lanterns lighting the way through the dark night. It's only seven thirty but the sky is pitch black. That's what you get when it's almost November. The engines of my motorcycle is the only sound heard in the deserted streets. I feel Newt's arms around my body and I wouldn't want to have them elsewhere.

Soon, we leave the city behind us and I turn onto a dirt way, leading us into the forest. A few minutes later we are surrounded by trees somewhere deep in the forest. I stop by the side of a small open space and Newt gets of the motorcycle.

After saying nothing during the whole ride, the first thing he says is: "I'm going to kill you if you brought me here to kill me."

I laugh: "I'm not going to kill you, Newt. I love you too much for that."

"Pshh. You're such a bloody sap, Tommy. I think you lost your tough." I look at him offended.

"I did not lose my tough, Newt. I can still kick some ass." Newt laughs, and changes the subject with a question: "So, Tommy. Why did you bring me to the middle of nowhere?"

"We're escaping the world, Newt. For one night, don't think about anything that can cause you stress, sadness, pain or anything. Just live in the moment while doing absolutely no fuck."

"Wow, Greenie. That was almost the perfect speech. Almost."

I smile: "Almost is enough for me."

I step to the middle of the small field and sit down in the grass. I motion for Newt to come over and pat the spot beside me. He slowly sits down on the damp grass but I don't give him the chance to sit. I push him down, this way that he's lying on his back and I lie down next to him. 

We look up to the sky. It's completely open. A million stars are shining above us, the moon watching over them like a mother.

"That's beautiful", Newt sighs.

I start to answer him: "You know what else is beauti-", but Newt interrupts me: "Don't even bloody dare to finish that sentence, ya shank." I laugh.

After a few minutes of silence, Newt asks me: "How did you find this place." I take a deep breath. I was prepared for this question and I've decided that I trust Newt enough to tell him about me, about my past.

"It all started when I was a little boy. My mom was happy, my dad was happy, I was happy. Whenever the weather was nice, they would bring me here. I would play with my parents. We would have a pick nick. We had so much fun. We were laughing the whole time. My mother and father loved each other so much. At least, that's what I thought. Ever since I was about seven years old, my father came around less often. He was never home. I didn't know where he was all the time. And  one day, my mom left. When I woke up and didn't find her in the house, I asked my dad where she was. He told me she had to leave. She had packed her bags and walked out. I haven't seen her in almost fifteen years.

My father was hardly home from that moment on. He wasn't even a father anymore. He was just the man who gave me a roof above my head and who filled the refrigerator. I grew up on my own. This place was lost for me. When I was fourteen years old, I started going to parties, getting really drunk. I had friends who didn't give a shit about me and a home that was as cold and lifeless as the North Pole. My life went downhill as my teenage years passed by.

But about two years ago, I coincidentally came back to this place and ever since that moment, I've been coming back here very often. It's a great place to think, or as I said earlier, to escape the world. I love this place so much, and today I realized that I am more than willing to share this place and it's story with you."

Newt doesn't say a word for a moment.

"Wow, Tommy. I need to let that information sink in for a moment." I understand that this is probably the most I've ever told him about myself. I'm not a very open person, but Newt is the first person I've told my story to, and it feels good to finally get it out of my system, to finally share it.

"Thanks for telling me this. And thank you for bringing me here. It means a lot to me." He rolls on his side and wraps his arms around my body. 

"I'm glad you're enjoying the date." I move closer to him and close my eyes. I hope to bring him here a lot more after today. This is the beginning of a new chapter.