Chapter 26

Newt's POV

Newt Isaacs, you're next.

I drop the piece of paper, completely shocked. What the bloody hell? What is this? What what what?

It's bloody obvious what this is, you dumb shank, I think to myself.  Someone's threatening me, and I know exactly who it is. Ethan and Edward.

Those shuckfaces don't have enough with Teresa and Brenda alone. Now they are coming for me too? I turn around, my back pressed against the mailboxes in the wall. I look around to find it empty, just like it was when I came in here two minutes ago.

They've got to be shuckin' me, right? They cannot be bloody serious? Why me? What did I ever do to these men? I quickly run back inside the apartment and lock the door, then slide down and sit on the floor. My hands are sweating, my legs are shaking. I feel my face running out of blood and I start to get very dizzy. An indescribable headache takes over my senses.

No, no, no. This cannot be happening. This is not happening. The room starts to spin and I feel like screaming. It seems like everything turns dark. The world seems to be crumbling down, the remains falling in a deep hole, the depths of it burning like fire.

A disgusting acid threatens to rise in my stomach and I feel like vomiting. I feel like someone could come in any moment and kill me. He could kill me in a very brutal way and no one would ever know. Thomas would be searching for me, but I would either have disappeared or be a cold, dead body on the floor of my own house.

Thomas. 

It takes quite a bit of strength and courage to love that shank. Almost all the biggest klunk that has happened in my life happened since I met him. I had only known him for one day and I was already full of cuts and bruises. He and his enemies have hurt me terribly.

Yet I can't help my feelings for him. I can't blame him for the way I feel right now: terrified, small. Alone.

Fear is such a strong emotion and it involuntarily drowns me. I lay paralyzed on my floor, body shaking and trembling. Shaky breaths come out of my mouth. I'm dreaming, although I'm awake, my eyes wide open. But instead of seeing my living room, I see horrible, horrible things happening to me. And to Tommy.

...

Thomas' POV

"This is so boring," Jackson whispers to me. That shank's still sitting next to me, and he's still annoying. But at least I have Luke sit next to me now too. We're getting along better again after that shucking party.

"Just shut your hole, Jackson," I say with a roll of my eyes. I hear Luke laughing, but I don't pay attention to my friends anymore. Instead I listen to the professor until class is over. In the meantime, my thoughts drift of to Teresa and Brenda again. It makes me so sad to see them like that, but what Newt said to me a few days ago really made me think. 

These past few months with Newt have been the happiest moments of my life. But nonetheless it's scary to show him myself. As he said, I pulled up big walls, and my intention was to keep them closed. But then came Newt, and I couldn't help it, but I fell in love with him.

I certainly didn't plan on falling in love. Ever. But it just happened, and I don't regret it. But it is scary to let him in. I'm not used to people knowing who I really am, but Newt deserves to know. So in these past days I've tried to talk to him more and let him know how I feel, and I believe he does appreciate that.

Before I know it, the professor dismisses the class and I run for the door. I wave goodbye to my friends and go home. Well, to Newt's, but it's kind of home now.