Chapter 27

Thomas' POV

The two brothers look at Newt, a sly grin etched on their faces. I look in the direction of their eyes. Newt stands there, frowning. If I didn't know him, I'd say he is just a bit upset, but mostly indifferent. But I do know him, and I can tell that he is terrified.

His face has lost all its colour and his knuckles are white from making fists. His hands are also slightly shaking, but Edward and Ethan won't be able to see that in the dark glow of the slowly disappearing sun. It's obvious that he is frightened.

But so am I, so I don't have the right to blame him.

I know I should be taking my phone and calling the police, but I'm frozen. I couldn't do that right now. One moment without my full attention and they'll be on him. I can't let that happen, so I wait. 

The seconds tick by and I wait until someone makes a sound. Ethan is the first to turn his attention towards me and says: "Your cousins weren't very welcoming. The one with the long hair kept trying to hit me." His sarcastic tone makes me want to spit right in his face.

I growl. How dare he say something like that? Then again, how dare he do something like what he did? I want to punch him in the face, but I stand still, afraid of the consequences.

"Newt, how did you like our little message?" Edward asks, just as sarcastic as his brother. I see Newt, still standing motionless. His lip is slightly quivering, yet again, on such a small scale that luckily only I notice. He looks at me, not knowing what to do, but I am just as clueless as him.

Ethan declares to his brother: "Don't you think it's time that we let these boys inside their own house?" Edward nods and motions for us to open the door to the building. I walk right next to Newt, the disgusting shanks right behind us, while we walk inside all the way to the apartment. 

In no time, the door is closed and Edward is in front of me. I give him the dirtiest look I can manage, but he answers it by kicking me in the groin. I scream. Fuck that hurts. Newt's voice rings through the apartment: "Tommy!" But I hardly hear him anymore. 

By the time I have recovered ever so slightly, another kick is thrown in, right against my leg. Pain courses through my whole body, but nonetheless I pray that they keep doing this. As long as they leave Newt alone, I'll be fine.

My body turns to mush and Edward sees the perfect moment to tie me up against the wall with a roll of duct tape. I'm pressed against the wall when Ethan starts to do the same with Newt, him sitting on a chair.

His eyes are even more frightened than when I first saw him in that position. It must be because he has an idea of what is to come.

I scream to let him go, but the guys just roll their eyes at me. I don't plan on quitting my job though, so I keep yelling things at them. Horrible, horrible things. Things I shouldn't say, but I'd say anything if it meant expanding our time here.

Ethan starts walking through the doors, inspecting the place. Edwards eyes never leave me and Newt. After a few minutes, Ethan returns, a big kitchen knife in his hand. He slowly caressing the flat side of the blade he looks at Newt and sits down on his knees in front of him.

"No! Newt!" I try to scream but Edward stops my by hitting me square in the face. "Don't you fucking dare to do it, Ethan!" But he does do it.

Centimeter by centimeter, the blade is coming closer to the beautiful blonde boy. His hair is hanging in his face, right above his oh-so-frightened eyes. The terror I see inside them is unbearable. This poor boy keeps getting hurt and it's all my fault. I never wanted any of this!

I scream my lungs out while the knife keeps coming closer, but Newt doesn't say a word. I try to stop him with my words, but Ethan continues unceasingly. 

And then, the tip of the blade comes in contact with Newt's cheek. The man wants to scream in pain, but he's too scared to move. Slowly, Ethan drags the knife over Newt's face, blood already trickling out of the wound. 

The knife is being pulled out when a cut of at least four centimeters is noticeable.

"Well, aren't you pretty," Edward smirks and Ethan laughs. His laugh stops abruptly when the distant sound of sirens is heard. The boys grumble and Ethan says: "Well, it's been fun, but we gotta go. We'll be back soon. This," he motions his hand between the four of us, "was just the beginning. We'll come get you for real."

They jump out of the window, probably finding their way down along the rain pipe. They are intruders, they're used to this stuff.

When they're out, I look at Newt, but he looks at the ground. His eyes are still full of fear, but there's something else behind them. Something else than physical pain too. I want to ask him about it, but I can't find my own voice. Suddenly, the door is flung open and everything happens at once. 

Sheriff Arronsson and his team storm in the room and two policemen immediately rip the tape of our bodies, freeing us from the trap. As soon as I'm free, I run towards Newt. He's being pulled up from his chair, but I push the deputy away and put my arms around my boyfriend. 

His arms rest beside him and he stands there, still frozen. Soon enough, a nurse pulls me away from him and we both get cleaned up, neither of us having said a word since the two slintheads ran out. 

The officials say a whole bunch of stuff and I listen halfheartedly, my eyes never leaving Newt, although his eyes never seem to meet mine. He's almost on another planet with his thoughts. After an hour, every single one of them has left and that's when finally, the tears fall.

I cry and cry and cry and so does Newt. We stand in the middle of the room, hugging and crying in each other's shoulder. I shamelessly sniff in his shirt. 

It takes both of us a while to recover, and we end up in bed, me curled up against him. He has his arms wrapped around me. I look up at him in the dim light of the nightstand and something in him has changed. It's not only the long cut on his cheekbone, but it's something in his eyes. What used to be sadness and fear earlier, has changed to something more rough. 

Pure anger courses through him. It's even more than anger, it's venom. His eyes look like they have venom inside them and could kill you by only looking at you. That kind of venom.

With only a few words, he surprises me by saying the most shocking thing I'd ever expect from him:

"I'm gonna kill those shanks."

***

Newtie's not a cutie. He's tough now.

jk he's still a cute cinnamon roll.

I've got an English exam tomorrow, so it's fair enough to call this 'studying' right? It's an exercise in writing, sooooo... whatever.

Tell me what you think :) Have a good day :) x