Chapter 17

Thomas' POV

It has been going through my head for a while now, and I can't escape it. I have to stop doing what I am doing right now. It can't stay the way it is, I have to do something. If I don't do something now, my life will go downhill more and more, and now I won't be the only one hurting because of it. I will drag Newt down with me if I don't take action now.

I need to get a job.

Ever since I met Newt, I wanted to change. I wanted to become a better person for him. There is something about him that makes me want to get my life on the rails again and be there for him. For days and days I had been thinking about what I want to do. I have my degree in English literature, but what can I do with that? 

It has been very difficult, finding something that lays in my league, but since a while, there had been this idea in my head. There are a lot of children in America, and a lot of schools. And these kids need to learn English as well, and it'd be great to bring my passion for English literature over to these kids. I want people to learn to appreciate it just like I do. So I thought it'd be a wonderful job to be an English teacher.

I can give them books to read, I can read their essays. I can discover undiscovered writing talents from young teenagers. I can tell them stories, I can make up stories. I can drown myself in the world they create in their stories.

It seems like an incredible job. That's what I wanted to do.

So I started looking things up online. Of course, I will need to go back to school for teacher training, and I'll have to revise from the things I learned up until two years ago when I graduated. Nevertheless it seems like a great thing to do.

Only one problem: I would need money for the teacher training. And that is something I don't have.

I know that if I asked Newt, he would pay for me immediately, but I don't want that. I don't really like the idea of him spending so much money on me. He already did so much for me, and until I get a job, I can't pay him back anything. So I promised myself I wouldn't ask Newt.

Instead, I asked my friends, and, amazing as they are, they all loaned me some money to pay the course. I promised to pay all of them back, and now I finally will be able to do that when I'm a teacher.

Today I looked in my cousin's mailbox, and there it was: a letter from my school. I read it and found out that I can start the course, which will start in two weeks and will take six months. After those six months, I have to do an exam and if I pass that, I officially am an English teacher.

All the time it has taken me to apply to this college and all that stuff, I haven't told Newt anything about it. I wanted it to be a surprise. But since I will start going to school in two weeks, right after Minho's wedding, I think it's time for him to know. I text him:

Thomas: Guess what?

Newt instantly replies. I swear, that dude lives with his phone in his hand.

Newt: What?

Thomas: No, guess!

Newt: I don't know!

Thomas: Come on.. it's something very exciting

Newt: I have no idea Tommy

Thomas: JUST TRYYYY

Newt: BLOODY HELL TOMMY JUST TELL ME

Thomas: Alright, here it comes...

Thomas: ...

Thomas: ...

Thomas: ...

Newt: Tommehh *bored emoji*