Chapter one

I was on my bed crying, not able to process what had been happening. Ahren left us for Camille and Mom had a heart attack. How was I going to date any guys right now with this issue, I couldn't think about them all I could think about was my mother, Illeas queen. The tears were all over my pillow, drowning it. I heard a knock on my door, I didn't answer, I couldn't talk to anyone right now not in the state I'm in. I think they could hear my sobbing because they opened the door anyway, it was dad.
"She's still unconscious, the doctor said he doesn't know what he can do except wait." My dad wiped away my tears but it didn't help, new tears came right after. He opened his arms and I just threw myself into him and sobbed. I couldn't believe how strong my dad was being. His own wife was dying and he being strong for me.
"I can't believe this is happening, it's all Ahrens fault he left her, he broke her heart." I said while trying to stop crying.
"He didn't mean to hurt her, you know that. He loved Camille and he wanted to be with her. As much as I don't like how he did it I understand. When you really love someone you will do whatever you can to be with them, and that's probably why he did it." I couldn't believe Ahren but I understand where my dad is coming from. He understands it the most.
"I'm still mad at him." I huffed.
"I understand, but he really did love her."
"So that doesn't mean he gets to just leave us, leave me when I need him most, and leave mom when she's already pulling her hair out. I just can't believe he was so selfish and did that!" I screamed, I was still crying but they weren't sad tears they were angry tears. My dad didn't know what to say or that's what I thought because it was very silent for a while.
"Eadlyn I don't expect you to understand but later you will, you don't love anybody like that now but when you do, you'll understand and do whatever you can for that person."
"Your right I don't understand and I don't think I ever will, so I'm still mad at him." Anger filled my eyes, "and I will always be mad at him, because I don't understand." My dad stood up and left, he didn't say anything he just left.

It was Friday Ahren left us yesterday and mom had a heart attack last night. tried to walk downstairs but all I did was trip, because I was crying to much. So I told Neena I wouldn't be there today. I ate lunch in my room that day. As I drowned myself in my thoughts, I needed to end my selection. But I don't know who I want. I can't pick Henri because the language barrier was to much. But I wanted to keep Henri here, because Erik. No. No. No. I told myself, Erik is not even a selected boy I can't be with him ever. I just, I couldn't decide. I couldn't face anybody right now. Not the selected, not dad and not the empty seat where mom should be. And not the selected boys, not even Ki-. My door flew open, it was Osten. With tears in his eyes, dad following behind him.
"Mom." That was all Osten could get out before dad jumped in.
"She's, she's."
"Dead" Osten said cutting off dad.
"What? How?" I screamed I couldn't believe this was actually happening, I couldn't understand how I was feeling, mom is dead. Fear, anger, and sadness. All my emotions pilled up into one big emotion.
"She, she was unconscious and they thought she would wake up but she didn't, instead she flatlined."
"Can I see her." I said while sniffling and hyperventilating, I could barely make it clear what I was trying to say.
"That's the thing, they took her body, none of us got to see her, they carried her off before we could." My dad said as he walked closer to me and hugged me.
"That's, that's not possible. She couldn't no, no!" I screamed I ran out of my room, tears coming down my face as I ran into the hospital wing, this could, this wasn't happening, she's not dead, she can't be dead, I need her more than anything right now. I was running faster than I ever could when I tripped, I saw her, they were carrying her off. Her body was limp and she was pale. Lifeless. She was lifeless. I ran to her but not fast enough, General Leger grabbed me before I could get to her.
"Eadlyn it's too late, she's gone." I screamed and kicked but he didn't let me go, it didn't matter nothing mattered, anymore nothing. When I kicked him in the thigh he finally let me go. I ran up to my mother. She was dead, her eyes were closed, her face was pale and her body was cold as ice. I couldn't believe it, I couldn't believe anything right now. Why does This have to be happening? Why can't she just wake up and help me. I needed her guidance her advice. She helped me get through this. This wasn't happening, it's not real. I picked up the closest object I could find and threw it. It was a glass cup of water, glass flew everywhere and water flew everywhere. I picked up another thing and threw it, and another. I didn't stop, I couldn't. I was so mad at everything, at Ahren, The selected boys, I just couldn't think. I couldn't think at all, the rest was a blur. Someone came to me and grabbed me, to stop me from throwing things everywhere. It was my dad.
"No. No. No she can't be dead, no it's not possible she's not dead, no, no, no."
"Eadlyn, Eady wake up." It was Kile
"What, where am I?" A thousand questions flew into my head, where was I? What happened to my mom? How did Kile get in here?
"Eadlyn your in your room, your dad told me I could come in here and I saw you in your bed screaming, so I woke you up, bad dream?" Bad dream? It was all a dream? A question popped into my head.
"What time is it?"
"It's noon, lunchtime, you weren't at breakfast so I asked if I could check on you and your dad said it was fine."
"What day is it? How's my mom? Where's Osten? Where's Ahren?"
"Eadlyn chill, it's Friday and your mom is still in the hospital, Ostens downstairs eating lunch, Ahren isn't here don't you know that?" My questions were answered it was a bad dream, not all of it but some of it. All I was relieved about was my mother wasn't dead, it was just a bad dream.