Ch. 13

It took me a while to learn the history of the cottagers. I remember it as it was very interesting to me, likely due to my inexperience. The name of the old man was De Lacey. He came from a rich family in France. He was rich and happy for many years. A few months before my arrival, the family had lived in Paris, and was fairly rich there.

The cause of their ruin was the father of Safie. He was a merchant was had lived in Paris for many years. For no discernible reason to me, he became obnoxious to the government. He was captured, tried, and sentenced to death. All of Paris was in an uproar. It was hinted at he was tried because of his religion and wealth, not due to the actual crime. Felix was present at the trial, and he was very upset. He vowed to release Safie's father. 

He found a strongly gated window through which he spoke to Safie's father about his intentions. Safie's father offered riches to Felix in return for his freedom, to which Felix refused. However, when Felix saw Safie he realized that there was one thing the prisoner had that was valuable to him.

Seeing that Felix coveted his daughter, Safie's father promised Safie's hand in marriage as soon as he was safe. Felix was too shy to accept the offer, but it still made his heart swell with joy. Over the next day, plans were made to free Safie's father. Safie wrote many letters to Felix expressing her thanks for helping her father. 

I have copies of these letters which will help to prove my tale. As it is late, I will just repeat what is in the letters. 

Safie said that her mother was a Christian Arab, made a slave by the Turks. While there, she won the heart of the father of Safie, who married her. Safie loved her mother, who instructed her in many facets of education. Safie's mother died, but the lessons she taught stayed with Safie forever. Safie did not want to remain a slave, instead wanted to marry a Christian, which gave her more rights.

The day before the scheduled execution of Safie's father he escaped. Safie's father said again that Felix should marry Safie, but in the meanwhile Safie had fun with Felix. She sang to Felix about her country, and they enjoyed each other's company. However, Safie's father did not like the idea of his daughter marrying a Christian, and he planned to escape with his daughter. 

The government of France was angry that their prisoner had escaped, and spared no cost in attempt to find him. Felix's plot was discovered, and his sister and the old man were prisoned. Felix tried to free them, but failed. They were imprisoned for 5 months before they were tried, and they were banished from the country. 

They then found the cottage in Germany, where I found them. Felix learned that Safie's father took Safie with him, and sent him a small amount of money. This news made Felix very sad. When Safie returned, it made Felix happy again.

When the news reached Safie's father that she was with Felix, he demanded that Safie return to him. She was taken with him to go back to her home country. She was defiant, and took money of hers and her attendant. She traveled, searching for her lover and friend. Her attendant fell ill, and despite the best care, died. It took her a long time to find Felix. When she did, both parties are were very happy.