Ch. 16

The monster was done telling his tale. When I did not reply, he said " You must create a female for me. You alone are capable, and it is a right of mine."

I was angry at him for the death of the child, for the guilt of the woman. "I will not give you your wish. Begone! No torture will cause me to agree with you"

"You are wrong" said the monster "and I will not torture you. I will reason with you. I am dangerous because I am shunned, and I have no one to be with me. Man hates me, so why should I spare him? If man were to be kind, I would serve them as my master and equal. But that can't be, because to humans my appearance speaks for me. But I will not let this be…I will pull revenge. I will work at your destruction, creator, until you welcome death. 

His face contorted into an awful shape. He pulled himself together, and continued.

"I want to reason with you. If you show any kindness to me, I will multiply it greatly. For that one female, I would make peace with human kind. But now I see that cannot be. What I ask is small! The two of us would not be happy, but also we would not be dangerous. Do not deny what I am owed!

I was moved. I thought of the consequences, but his argument had some valid points. Did I not owe him, as his creator, to make him as happy as I could?

He saw my change in heart, and said "If you agree to make me this woman, we will flee to South America. We will eat nuts and berries, we will avoid all men. You have so far been pitiless towards me, but now I see that may have changed. Please!"

"You say that you will leave, but you so seek the sympathy of man! You will return, seeking care, and when you do not get it, you will be furious. But you will have an aid to your destruction. I cannot let that happen!" I said

" Why are you so inconsistent?" I swear to you, I will, if you do as I ask, avoid all man for as long as I may live.  I will no longer curse my creator" He pleaded

I felt compassionate towards him. How could I, as his creator, not give him joy?

"You swear, to be pleasant and harmless? But how can this be, when you have already killed? How do I know you aren't tricking me to get an accomplice to kill with?" I snarled.

"I thought you had understood me! My vices are a result of being alone, therefore when I have a companion, I will be left with virtue alone"

I thought about what he said, thought about his story, and his pleading, and my duties. At last, I said "I consent, so long as you agree to leave the area of men forever."

"I swear! I will eagerly await it" And with that, he ran, perhaps thinking I might change me mind.

It was late, and I knew I ought to go home. I traveled, thinking about the demon. I arrived in the morning, and saw my family, who thought it was odd how long I was out. We returned home, where Elizabeth and father tried to calm me with boring life. By degrees, I calmed down, and was tranquil, though the promise weighed heavy in my mind.