Ch. 17

Weeks passed, and I could not get the courage to start work. I could not make a female without studying for months again. I needed to visit England to speak with a professor who had made progress. I needed to obtain my father's permission, but I delayed as much as I could. My spirits rose, and my father saw this and hoped to eradicate the last of my pain. 

My father basically told me that if I did not want to marry Elizabeth, that I did not have to if I made me sad. I reassured him that I loved her dearly, and intended to marry her. He asked if then, it was okay if we got married right away, in order to make me happier. I was in a state of horror. I wanted to complete my promise and be free of the burden, before starting my new life with Elizabeth. I also remembered needing to go to England. I told my father that I wanted to see the world one last time before settling down. It was agreed that Henry Clerval and I would travel England for 2 years.

My father was pleased with my decisions, and thought that the travel may settle my mind, and let me be happy again. Again I was afraid of the demon. Would he stay in Geneva, and terrify my friends? Would he travel with me, and make me depressed then? Elizabeth thought it was good that I was going, thought it was good that I had a chance at happiness. I got into the carriage, and my whole travel was quiet and filled with despair. I waited 2 days for Henry Clerval, who when we met, was so joyful at the landscape and he noticed how gloomy I was.

You, my friend, would be more interested in his journals than in mine. He spoke about the beautiful towns, the stunning rivers, and the elegant vistas. The scenery even made me joyful. We finally arrived in London, our spirits were raised despite the promise I had made.