Ch. 22

It was 8 o'clock when the ship landed. We walked on the shore and enjoyed the scenery. Suddenly, a heavy rain began. I had been calm all day, but when the night came, fear gripped my heart. I promised myself that either the demon or I must die, and that when that happened I would be forever calm again. 

Elizabeth sensed my agitation and asked what was wrong. I told her that it was nothing, that all was safe yet dreadful. After another hour, I asked to to head to bed, so that I may learn more of my enemy while she remained safe. She agreed, however confused she was. I investigated the whole house, but saw no hint that he was nearby. 

Suddenly, I heard a dreadful scream. My blood ran cold. I ran to our room, only to find Elizabeth lifeless, body laying across the bed, hair askew. I fainted. When I recoverd, the people of the inn had moved her, and covered her face. I ran toward and hugged her, but she was cold, and the marks of the demon were on her neck. I looked out the window, and saw the grinning face of the monster. I took a shot at him, but it went wild. 

The sound of the pistol brought a group of men, all who went out, following the tracks of the killer. When no one was found, they thought I had invented the killer. They went out again, though. I did not join them, as I was exhausted and I knew they would not catch him. I thought of my father, and of Ernest. What if the demon had them in his grasp at this very second? I needed to return home.

There were no horses to rent, but I hired a crew of rowers to take me home. If we rushed, I could be home by nightfall. Horror befell me. I swam in the pain until I arrived home, my father and Ernest were alive. However, my father died days later, overcome by grief and pain and loss. He died in my arms. 

What became of me? I know not, I lost all feeling, and extreme sadness cloaked me. I went to speak with the magistrate of the town. I told him that I knew the killer of all my family, and it would take all that he had to apprehend him. I told him my whole story. At first he looked at me like I was crazy, but in time he believed me. At first he agreed to help me catch him, but we both knew that with his power, it would be close to impossible. When I went over his strengths, the magistrate changed his mind, saying it would be too dangerous, telling me that I was crazy. I stormed from his home.