Ch. 9

The next day, the weather was cloudy. I spent the day riding around and seeing the beautiful scenery. It lifted my spirits. When I returned to the campsite, both father and Elizabeth were pleased to see me happier. 

The next morning, the rain fell in heavy sheets. I felt strangely sad. I didn't want my father to see me this way, and seeing as rain had little effect on me, I challenged myself to climb to the summit of Montanvert. I hoped the scene would give me joy. The path up the mountain was dangerous. Looking to the valley's, I felt sad again. I couldn't help but think how much easier life would be if humans were not quite so human.

 I accented the mountain, and when I rested, joy filled my soul. Then, I saw the demon. With subhuman speed, he bounded across the ice crevices. My heat grew cold, but I resolved to stay so that I may kill the creature.

When he approached, I said this. " How dare you approach me? Don't you fear me? Don't you know that I will kill you, and thus avenge those you killed?"

The demon said " I expected no less. All men hate the wretched, and therefore I must be hated. You, my creator, detest me. You intend to kill me. I have conditions, and if you comply, I will leave you and the rest of mankind alone. If you do not, I will kill all of your remaining friends."

To him I said " Monster! The torture of hell in not enough for you. Come at me, so I may kill you!"

I went to attack him. To end what I began. However, he evaded my easily. 

He said, "Calm down! While my life has known only pain, life is dear to me, and I intend to defend it. Remember, you made me more powerful then yourself. I don't want to fight you. I will be mild, and treat you as my king, if you will only do the thing I ask, and you owe me for what you bestowed upon me. "

I said "Go away! We are enemies, leave! If you will not leave, let us fight until one falls."

He said " How can I change your mind? When I was created, I felt only kind humanity. But I am so alone! Humans hate me for something I cannot control, and if they hate me, I must hate them back! I have been so desolate, in the mountains and plains, so alone. Listen to my story. In human justice, all defendants are allowed to defend themselves. Listen to my story, then, if you must, destroy me."

I said " Curse you! Curse the hands who created you, curse the day of your birth. Leave my sight!"

And so he placed his hands over my eyes to relieve me of the sight of him. I hit his hands, flinging them from near me. 

He said, "Grant me compassion, hear my story."

He led my across the ice, to the campground, to tell me his story. I wanted to know if he was the murderer of my brother, and I was curious, and I felt a duty to him as his creator. So, he began his tale.