Letter #2

Robert Walton is writing a letter to his sister, Mrs. Margaret Saville. It is March 28th. Robert Walton is speaking.

Time passes slowly here. I am, however, progressing towards my dream. I have hired a ship, and am currently hiring sailors. The sailors that I have already hired seem dependable and courageous. 

However, I am lonely. I am so excited about my success, but I have no one to shared my excitement with. I want for a friend. There is no one with me who is like me that I can find a friend in. 

At age 28, I am more illiterate than any school boy of 15. I have read, and I have spent more time thinking, but my daydreams are illogical. I need a friend to keep me grounded.

These complaints are useless, since I will find no one suitable to be my friend in the ocean, or even here in Archangel, as no merchant or seaman is a suitable friend. Of the men that I have already hired, my lieutenant has much courage, and he desires glory, and he is well educated. I found him on board a whaling vessel, and he was unemployed, so he was happy to aid me in my trip. The master has a great temperament, an example of which is that he will not hunt (despite hunting being the main entertainment) because he cannot will himself to spill blood. As a young man, master fell in love with a woman who was above his caste, and he, being respectful of her father, left his life for one of adventure. 

My voyage is only delayed until the weather clears. Even though it is a bit early, the spring seems as though it has wonderful weather, and I may be able to sail sooner then expected. I will not be too quick about my decision, since I am responsible for the lives of my crew. 

I am half-excited, and half-fearful about my journey, but I shall kill no albatross so I will be safe.(quick-ish authors note. In this part of the letter, Robert is referring to the narrative poem, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner written my Samuel Taylor Coleridge. In the poem, a sailor tells a story of a horrific sea voyage. The sailor was sailing in a storm in the South Pole, and the ship is surrounded by ice. The crew spots a albatross flying in the fog. At the same moment that the albatross is flying, the ice cracks, freeing the ship. Strangely, the mariner shoots the albatross, causing the ship bad luck. As a result, all of the crew save the mariner die. Ever since, the remorseful mariner traveled, telling his story, and encouraging others to be kind to animals. As we compare this story to future chapters in Frankenstein, we find many similarities. This is an example of an allusion.)

I hope to meet you again, however, I cannot expect that much success. I may be able to receive your letters, though it is doubtful. They will give me hope. Remember me well, in case I die.