Ch. 5

To Victor Frankenstein

My dear cousin, I cannot put in words how uneasy we have all been since we heard news of your sickness. I assume your friend Clerval has concealed the extent of your illness. We are all out of sorts due to your illness, nearly as much so as when your mother died

My uncle was nearly ready to come and visit you to see how you were doing. Clerval always writes that you are improving, and I sincerely hope this to be the case. Please write us in your own handwriting so that we may know you are well, because we are all miserable thinking of your misery. For when you are better, we will be the happier creatures alive. Your father appears 10 years younger, and Ernest is nearly 16, and he has lost the sickly appearance that he had as a child. 

Your father and I talked about what career Ernest should go into last night. He so enjoys the outdoors, and I recommended that he become a farmer, which is a career I find highly esteemed. My uncle thought being a lawyer was more suited, which I found to be very wrong. After arguing, my uncle thought then I should be the lawyer. 

And now I will tell you a delightful little story. Do you remember Justine Moritz? If you do not, I will relate her history here. Her mother had 4 children, of which Jusstine was the 3rd. She was her father's favorite child. Though, after her father died, her mother treated her quite poorly. My aunt saw all of this. When Justine was 12, she begged her mother to live instead at my aunts. Once in out family, Justine learned the duties of a servant, but she was treated well. My aunt found Justine most delightful, and gave her a great education, to which Justine was very grateful, so much so that she tried to be in every aspect like my aunt.

When my aunt died, everyone was so caught up in their own grief, they forgot about poor Justine, who had many other trials of her own. All of Justine's siblings died, causing her mother to want her back. Sometimes her mother begged her forgiveness, but oftener accused her of being somehow responsible for the deaths of her siblings. Thankfully, her mother died and Justine has returned to us.

I must also talk to you about William. He is very healthy and has many girls who fancy him, though they are but 5 or 6.  

Now there is some gossip. The pretty Miss Mansfield has already been engaged to be married.  Her ugly sister has also been married. Your favorite school friend has been ill since Clerval left, but is now feeling quite better. 

I have written myself into good spirits, but I cannot conclude the letter without again requesting that you write us about you, and your health. 

      - goodbye, dearest cousin

Elizabeth Lavenza

March 18th -

"I must write immediately to alleviate her fears and anxiety". I wrote, and though it tired me, but it was worth. In another fortnight, I was able to leave my bedchamber. 

My first duty once I was well was to introduce Clerval to the several professors of the university.  However, since the incident, even the sight of a scientific instrument brought me back the horrors. Clerval noticed this and thusly removed them from my sight. However, the professors did not understand. They congratulated me, and thought my dislike of the subject was due to modesty. They continued to speak of the horrid subject, until my dear Clerval helped change the subject.

Henry was not interested in natural philosophy, his imagination was much too vivid. He studied languages and great writings. I was his friend, and attended classes with him to distract me. Summer passed this way. Winter came and went. It was now past May, and this time with Clerval had raised my spirits to where they were before, if not higher. We returned to college feeling gay and happy.