Ch. 7

At 11 o'clock, the trial began. I felt so guilty, knowing that my creation might kill 2 innocents, one a child, another a woman. I would of taken her guilt onto myself, except for that I would sound mad as I was not present at the time of the murder, and bringing guilt on myself would not exonerate her.

During the trial, Justine was calm, knowing panic would cause her to be more guilty. Several strange facts combined against her, including her possession of the picture (necklace). In her defense, she said that she hoped that her incredible character would free her. She said all of the convincing facts were but coincidences, though she could offer no explanation for the picture, apart from that the murderer had placed it there. 

Several witnesses testified, including Elizabeth. Elizabeth testified on her character, ending with that if Justine had asked for the picture, Elizabeth would of given it to her, giving Justine no reason to murder. 

I believed in her innocence, placing all of the blame upon this demon I had created. Nonetheless, Justine was condemned. When inquiring about this, i learned that she had confessed! We (Elizabeth and I) went to visit Justine, and she said that she confessed, but confessed a lie because of all of the pressure that the confessor put on her. We spoke for a while to Justine, telling her that we believed her innocence, knowing that it may rest her uneasy heart. And so we said goodbye.