Ch. 18

London was where we we resting, and we wanted to stay there several months. Clerval wanted to speak with the intelligent men of the era, but this was not primary to me. I needed to complete my promise. If I had visitedthis place when I was a young man, this would have thrilled me, but agony weighed me down. I preferred being alone now, company was irksome to me. Clerval's inquisitiveness reminded me of my younger self.

I tried to keep Clerval happy, and to continue work on the monster. After several months, we got a letter from a person in Scotland, whom we had known at Geneva, and we both were excited at the prospect of seeing him again. We had arrived in England at the beginning of October, and it was now February. I was determined to finish my work in Scotland. We left London on the 27th of March, and we headed towards Oxford. We enjoyed the history of the place, and the picturesque landscape.  My enjoyment was weighed down by my promise. 

We spent a lot of time at Oxford, hoping to soak in the history. We then continued in to Matlock. We left quickly. From there we went onto Swiss Mountains. I enjoyed the travel, but after a while, I grew travel weary. When it was near time to meet up with our Scottish friend, and I was not sad, because it meant that I may again begin work. I was nervous that the demon may be following us, that he may be targeting Henry, and I kept him nearby.

I told Henry that I needed a month or 2 to collect myself, and that I would be happier when he returned. He left after some discomfort, telling me to go quickly to do whatever it was that I needed to do. As soon as he left, I tried to find a remote place to do my work. I knew the demon had followed me, and knew he would find me as soon as I was finished with his companion. I found a desolate, rough place to do my devil work. It was an island, with only 3 huts, 1 of which I lived in. Slowly, I started to work. It was slow going, and became more detestable each day I did it. I grew scared, nervous, and cold hearted. I felt evil coming, but I worked on, slowly as ever.